Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Stomach Virus Preventative?

Last night I ran across an article on a blog. This person had fears when it came to becoming sick. She said that drinking 100% grape juice prevented a stomach virus from taking over. She drinks a cup a day but during the times when the virus is running rampant, she drinks a cup 3 times a day. She also said once you have contracted the virus, it is too late for grape juice to help. Has anyone ever heard of this? I think this is something I might start doing in the fall and winter.
    What do you think?

Default Re: Stomach Virus Preventative?

I have never seen any proof of the claim. We have discussed the grape juice cure on IES before. I don't suppose it would hurt anything to do it. Except if it doesn't work, you might puke purple.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't think there's any scientific evidence to back this up. I quite like purple grape juice, and it does have some health benefits, I think (it contains anthocyanins, like red wine does, I think?). It is very, very sweet though so I don't think a permanent habit of three cups a day would be very healthy! I think it may also upset your stomach to drink that much. Good hand hygiene is the best preventative measure, as well as a healthy diet (which could include grape juice if you like it!). xxx

Nothing can prevent it but hand washing and bleach. Probiotics and cranberry juice are rumored to help but i wouldnt soley rely on that.

Thanks you all of your feedback. After reading all the posts, I don't think I will be drinking 3 glasses of grape juice per day. In fact, I rarely drink it. I've made it so far without it.
    Handwashing and bleach are things I will stick with!