Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation Tired of being an Emet

This is ridiculous! I am up at 3 AM right now and I can't go to sleep because I have this terrible nausea that comes back every few minutes. I don't understand this phobia. I've come to a point in my life where I WANT to overcome it, but I just don't know how. I can't be normal around people. No one understands it. No one wants to. People love to pretend gagging thinking that this is a joke, and it frustrates me.
    I've made very little progress since I was little with this phobia. I am able to see animals and babies vomitting but I can't even see a toddler.
    I guess this thread is a cry for help. I want to be normal!

Default Re: Tired of being an Emet

First of all, I apologize as I am a bit late. I hope you are feeling better now! This phobia is awful and debilitating in every aspect of life. It is GREAT that you now have the motivation/the will to overcome this thing and put it in the trash--where it belongs! I know it's hard to figure out how exactly to overcome it. Do you have a therapist? Have you tried CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) Do you take any anti depressants/anti anxiety medications? If you do not, perhaps it would be in your best interests to give it a shot! I am currently taking Zoloft and although I have only been on it about a month, I am able to see improvement in myself. I started at 25mg then increased the dosage every few weeks. I am now on 75mg and will move up to 100mg in a few weeks. Best of luck to you!

Default Re: Tired of being an Emet

I drink St Johns Wort tea to help with anxiety and depression because I'm too proud to go to a doctor (not a good thing) and I don't like drugs with side effects. It does help a lot. And I hate the gagging thing! People just don't care!!! Ugh! Getting angry just thinking about it lol! Anyway my emetophobia doesn't trouble me much at all these days - I found that over time it just sort of went away by itself. I don't think it will ever go away completely but its pretty mild now.