Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

This works amazing, whether from a panic attack or just to wind down from a long day. It's kept me calm every single time I've needed it, including when I knew the inevitable would come. I know it's long... but bear with me it's worth it. There are 5 easy steps to find the breathing pattern that works best for you. I posted those here, within three posts. The first is an introduction to help understand how it works, then the next is the steps, with the third teaching you how to make it work in your everyday life.
    From the book "You Are Psychic!" written by M.I.T. Honors Graduate, Pete A. Sanders Jr.

The Relaxation Breath Pattern is that depth and rate of breathing that is most calming for you physically. It is different for every person, varying with one's size, weight, and lung capacity. Moreover, most people who use breathing methods to relax frequently are doing the wrong thing. They usually go too far. They take breaths that are too deep or too slow and actually tense up again. If you have tried controlled yoga breathing (only one or two breaths per minute),you know that until you build up your lung capacity, the technique is difficult and at first tenses rather than relaxes.

The secret to identifying your Relaxation Breath Pattern is to find that point where taking even a fractionally slower or deeper breath begins to feel uncomfortable. You can locate that point simply by becoming aware of your breathing, by gradually slowing and deepening it until you reach a point where to go any further requires effort. Once your each your Relaxation Breath Pattern, mentally focus on inhaling calmness and exhaling tensions. Within a few minutes you will feel stress drain away. Your body will enter Auto-Relaxation and you will experience a sense of peace and well-being. Let's try it. But before you begin note how you feel inside. How unstressed and calm do you feel? Compare this with the state of relaxation you achieve after using your Relaxation Breath Pattern.

Edited by: asianeko

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Five Relaxation Breath Pattern Steps

1.Comfortably sit or recline. In meditation or relaxation techniques there is no magic to any particular posture or position-the choice is yours as long as it satisfies the following three requirements: (a) it is comfortable, so that you are not distracted by physical sensations of pain or discomfort; (b) it is not sleep inducing (so comfortable that you consistently can't keep from falling asleep in that position); and (c)it is one that you can or do associate with relaxation or meditation.

2. Once you are comfortable, become aware of your breathing. Notice the frequency and the depth of your breathing. Gradually increase the depth of your breaths while at the same time slowing down your rate of breathing.Do this at your own pace and to a point where you are breathing at what you feel is a relaxing and calming pattern for you-where to take even a fractionally deeper or slower breath would begin to feel uncomfortable. Stop there. This is your personal Relaxation Breath Pattern.
    Note: There is no required manner for breathing (for example through nose or mouth). Find the way that is most comfortable for you. Many people prefer to breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth. Also, you may keep your eyes open or closed.

3.Once you are comfortably maintaining your Relaxation Breath Pattern begin to focus mentally on relaxing with each breath. With each inhalation focus on breathing with greater calmness and peace. Visualize and feel relaxation flowing into you each time you breathe in. With each exhalation feel yourself blowing out the pressures and stresses of the day, and know that tension is draining from your body. Breathe in a calmness and breathe out anything that stand in the way of maximum relaxation.

4. Maintain this focused breathing for 5 to 10 more breaths. Mentally command your entire body to relax and unwind. Hold in mind a time when you were completely at peace. As you breath with your unique Relaxing Breath Pattern, feel that same peaceful calm flow through every fiber of your being.

5. After several minutes note how you feel. Compare your inner sense of calmness with how you felt before you began.
    Edited by: asianeko

The more you use this simple technique the easier it will become to trigger Auto-Relaxation. Each time you follow the process described above it will be easier for you to recognize your Relaxation Breath Pattern. Gradually you will be able to lock into your mind the specific rate and depth of breathing that triggers Auto-Relaxation. Eventually you will need only a few seconds to find and slip into it. Moreover, each time you perform the technique your body will increasingly come to associate relaxation with that specific breath pattern. Before long just one or two minutes of breathing with your Relaxation Breath Pattern will lower your pulse, reduce your blood pressure, and release the negative effects of stress.

Because this is such a quick and simple method for triggering Auto-Relaxation you can use it anywhere and anytime. Practice a few minutes of relaxation breathing before an important meeting or interview, and you will find you can deal with those situations calmly and be in control of them. Similarly, if you are suddenly faced with a stressful situation or feel tension building, try using your Relaxation Breath Pattern. You will feel tightness and anxiety melting away. Eventually you won't even need to close your eyes to do the exercise. As a result, you will be able to use your Relaxation Breath Pattern to relieve stress when you are driving and find yourself in a traffic jam; or you can use it right in front of people who are trying to pressure you.

Learning your Relaxation Breath Pattern is a dynamic key for taking conscious control of stress reduction. Most important, once you learn it, the mere thought of that rate and style of breathing stimulates Auto-Relaxation. You do not have to do twice daily half-hour meditations, chant mantras, or seclude yourself to reach deep relaxation. You have learned a skill that is usable in all situations. You have learned how to achieve inner calm in a quick and practical way.

That's great advice. I do practice relaxation breathing and I will give this method a try. Thanks for posting.

this is similar to the relaxation exercise in the anxiety book im doing at the moment...the only difference [that i have found works MIRACLES] is while you are breathing in the way it explains above is to relax the muscles in your body....start at your toes, squeeze them and let them relax, then move up to your legs and do the same, then to your abdomen and up to your face, scrunch your faces muscles and relax them....once your entire body is relaxed continue the breathing as said above and your anxiety goes away within minutes!

this is the relaxation techniques i have been using and i havent had a panic attack that has lasted longer then 5 mins in weeks. eventually your body will be able to relax this way on its own [without having to squeeze and relax the muscles] and you will be more calm everyday, and the anxiety will begin to go away more and more.

another thing that makes the relaxation easier is , if you are at home, go into your room and lay down with all the lights off and no sounds [if thats possible] close your eyes and begin to think about your "safe place" everyone has one, its the one place you feel calm and free from anxiety....while you are thinking about it do the relaxation breathing as listed above and the muscle relaxation. of course if you are in the car, work, or in public you cant do that but most of the time when ppls panic gets worse its bc you tense your muscles when you get anxious [and 99% of the time you dont even realize your doing it] but being able to relax will slow your heart rate down and help you become more calm.

coming from someone who had MAJOR panic attacks numerous times a week.....i can personally say THIS WORKS!!!! everyone should try it =)

Yeah, learning how to control your body and force it to relax is one of the most powerful tools you can have, in my opinion. Definitely the squeezing is awesome! I know a lot of meditation techniques involve the relaxing of muscles. I had an episode where I actually t*u* at work, and this kept me calm before AND during. About 5 min later I had a mini break down, but it lasted less than 5 min. AND I stayed through the end of the day at work completely calm.

oh wow thats great! this technique has deff helped me, i havent had a panic attack that lasted longer than 5 mins in weeks and its great!! i like to hope that when "it" finally does happen i can get through it as well as you have!!

works pretty good for me [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] thanx a ton [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I just noticed, even seeing the words Relaxation Breath Pattern and Auto-Relaxation calm me down now!

^^ i'll definitely give it a read, thanks for posting! I suggest that you search and read about EFT, that is a miracle too ;-)