Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Should we really avoid writing v*, d*, fp and sv in full??

Hello,

I was just wondering whether it would be more healthy and conducive to recovering from emet if we wrote the full words out rather than v*, d* etc.?

Default Re: Should we really avoid writing v*, d*, fp and sv in full??

I do it because I don't want to upset people who are sensitive to the words. Yeah, exposure therapy is all well & good but the person has to be ready & feel safe!
    M I D N I G H T

Yeah no I do mostly too but I wonder if nearly everyone does it for that reason rather than because of their own fear?

I wanted to know whether anyone on this forum is very phobic of the words or not- i know it can happen in emet.

With exposure therapy the patient is always warned and approves the exposure before it's done. If an emet has such a severe case that just reading the words gives them anxiety they might feel kind of startled and that could give them higher anxiety levels than if they were warned prior to reading it. I do agree with you though and i think it's a good point but i censor the words out of pure respect to the people who might be more sensitive than me.

Okie doke, I'll carry on with the v*, d* and fp!

I think most people on here can handle the words, and just do it out of respect. Personally, I can handle the words.
    M I D N I G H T

I abbreviate but mostly out of laziness .
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
    ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

I am with her ^^ I will abbreviate anything tht can be abbreviated, just so i dnt have 2 write it all out. AND for those who would rather not see the whole words.
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; But of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2Timothy. 1:7)

No rules on forum about abbreviating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

I'm not trying to start anything here, I just feel like I need to clarify something. So please don't take this the wrong way. I get a little upset when people say that they abbreviate out of respect for the people who might be sensitive to it. I know it's not the way it's intended but when people say they do it out of respect, I almost feel like the implication is there that the people who don't abbreviate aren't being respectful. So I just want to clarify that when I don't abbreviate, personally, I do it because when I did abbreviate, it made my own phobia worse. I'd never been afraid of the words before, and I found myself becoming afraid of them. I'm not going to make my own phobia worse when I've come this far in getting rid of it

Also, think of it like this, unless there are members on here that ONLY come to IES on the internet (which is doubtful), then they're going to see the words elsewhere anyways, probably. So abbreviating here probably isn't as useful as we'd think Just a bit of food for thought.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This girl rocks ^^ Personally, I write the words out because I'm a medical transcriptionist by trade, and I type ridiculously fast. If I have to stop and think about abbreviations and/or using asterisks, etc., it throws off my rhythm. LOL! The words don't bother me, sorry if they bother others. Yeah, even having to BE on this forum sucks, but eggshells about what every other person on the planet (or at least this forum) is thinking and fearing...that's exhausting. I have a full-time job keeping my own head out of my own ass 24 hours a day, I can't constantly worry what others are doing. Hahahaha!! Just trying to keep it light, folks. No disrespect intended!

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    I'm not trying to start anything here, I just feel like I need to clarify something. So please don't take this the wrong way. I get a little upset when people say that they abbreviate out of respect for the people who might be sensitive to it. I know it's not the way it's intended but when people say they do it out of respect, I almost feel like the implication is there that the people who don't abbreviate aren't being respectful. So I just want to clarify that when I don't abbreviate, personally, I do it because when I did abbreviate, it made my own phobia worse. I'd never been afraid of the words before, and I found myself becoming afraid of them. I'm not going to make my own phobia worse when I've come this far in getting rid of it

Also, think of it like this, unless there are members on here that ONLY come to IES on the internet (which is doubtful), then they're going to see the words elsewhere anyways, probably. So abbreviating here probably isn't as useful as we'd think Just a bit of food for thought.
    I don't mean it to sound like that! My feeling is that others can spell & abbreviate however they like, it's just my personal opinion that I am going to abbreviate. There is no disrespect meant to non-abreviators.
    M I D N I G H T

The weirdest part to me is that nobody abbreviates words like burp, gag, heave, belch, retch and so on but they (we?) actually abbreviate pretty mild words like bowel movement. Hahaha.
    KaydeeJayde, you make a really good point. I stand corrected haha I'll probably keep abbreviating the words when replying to other peoples threads though just because i don't know why they abbreviated the words.

Quote Originally Posted by staystrongxx View Post
    I don't mean it to sound like that! My feeling is that others can spell & abbreviate however they like, it's just my personal opinion that I am going to abbreviate. There is no disrespect meant to non-abreviators.
    No problems, I just wanted to clarify I know that you personally didn't mean it like that, I have come across some members here (that aren't really so active anymore) that used to resent the people who typed out the words and call us disrespectful and rude. So I always like to give another perspective on this issue

Also, as for the abbreviating of those other words, I actually saw someone abbreviate gag to g*g... because that looks SO different

I am making a poll about this. It should be up in a little.
    M I D N I G H T

Quote Originally Posted by chixy View Post
    The weirdest part to me is that nobody abbreviates words like burp, gag, heave, belch, retch and so on but they (we?) actually abbreviate pretty mild words like bowel movement. Hahaha.
    KaydeeJayde, you make a really good point. I stand corrected haha I'll probably keep abbreviating the words when replying to other peoples threads though just because i don't know why they abbreviated the words.
    I only abreviate bowel movement because I'm lazy! lol
    M I D N I G H T

Occasionally I'll abbreviate diarrhoea, purely because I can't spell the damn thing :P

I know what the results of the poll will be, I think but it'll be interesting to see if its how we all expect great idea!

I would love to not have to abbreviate them, but I get worried about what others think or if I upset others.

Again, Lacey, my thing with that is that doubt there are any members here that use the internet SOLELY for IES, so no doubt they're going to be on websites that mention vomit and the like as well, because it's written in news articles and other forums and stuff. So they're probably going to see it elsewhere.

I mostly abbreviate out of laziness. When I joined, it seemed people mostly abbreviated, so I got in the habit. The words bother me a little, but I can deal with it. I don't care one way or another if people use the full word or not.

Seeing or hearing the words doesn't bother me. I can never remember how to spell d. Bowel movement or bm always reminds me of my grandma. She used to talk about her poops quite a lot. I used to use vomit as an alternate swear word when I was trying to cuss less. Personally, I prefer poop and puke, but puke seems taboo here. I don't know why. People just don't seem to use it often. For some reason, there are literally dozens of words for these activities and v and bm are by far the grossest to me.

Ahh, I get it!
    I just have issues with anxiety and s/t so I feel like people are judging me and I should write it in my signature "DOESN'T ABBREVIATE"
    Also, I agree with the whole spelling thing. I cannot spell dioreha to save my life.
    Lacey

<p>
    Having strong writing skills is essential for creating clear and thoughtful texts. It is something I have worked hard to improve over time. When it comes to research or complex topics, using literature review writer online has been really helpful. It is great for structuring ideas and making sure my writing is both accurate and engaging.</p>
    Last edited by Robbie A Carlson; 10-01-2024 at 01:24 PM.