Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Avoiding Parties

Hello,

I was just at my friends Christmas party. She's my best friend actually and we've known each other for about 13 years now. I know her family pretty well. Even with all that I felt so uncomfortable going in there. The more people that showed up, the worse I felt. I didn't eat anything. I stayed for two hours and then told her I was going to go. She wasn't offended and was very gracious, luckily.
    My family's Christmas party will be on December 25th. I love my family, I do. When the extended family gets together they like to not be so serious and have a good time. Now, I've been dealing with emet since I was maybe 8 or 9 and i'm 27 now. They all pretty much made fun of me for it (not in a mean way really). They just can't empathize with me. To them it's like being afraid of mice or something. Something so silly that I could get over if I really had to. And to be honest I thought I would have by now. I have stopped talking about it with them and just keep it to myself most of the time (or try to at least). So is it so bad if I want to start skipping bigger family functions? I get full of anxiety and then I have a low self esteem on top of it. I'm trying to better myself and build up my confidence. But what I really want to do is just spend the Christmas week/weekend at home with my fiancé and our kids. I know a party is just one night but is it so wrong to want to avoid all the anxiety and just relax? Does anyone else avoid family functions or things like that?

Default Re: Avoiding Parties

i feel your pain on this one. i try to go anyway and take breaks every hour by going outside to just breathe and get away, or hanging out alone for a bit. that always helps me. even if you pretend you have a call or something and just go into another room for a bit.