Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default If there was a noro jab, would you have it done?

From what I've heard, the flu jab 'gives' you flu so that you will be immune...
    Sooo my question is..
    If this were the case with noro, would you guys have it done??
    'Since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal'

2 Corinthians 4:18💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

Default Re: If there was a noro jab, would you have it done?

The norovirus vaccine is being developed. Please click the words "norovirus vaccine" in the box "Tags for this thread" at the bottom of the page to read more of what has been reported here in the group and elsewhere over the years.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes I would definitely get the shot as long as it didn't cause some absence side effects. I have read several articles about how they have made some great strides to a norovirus vaccine which is awesome.

I get the flu shot every year too. I just got one a few days ago. The only reaction I got was the injection site was sore for a few days. I think some people get confused with the flu shot as its really a dead virus in the shot. Sometimes people may seem like they get the flu shortly afterwards but its actually a reaction to the shot not the actual flu (unless you were sick right as you got the shot). I think this phobia has given me a semi-phobia of sickness in general whether it being the common cold, flu, etc. Anxiety comes on when I am around any sick person lately. If there is a vaccine for it more than likely I will get it.

You are mistaken that the flu shot gives you the flu. A killed virus cannot reproduce. If you got sick after the flu shot, you were already infected before you got it, didn't have time to build up enough antibodies to neutralize an infection before you got exposed, or you were allergic to some component of the vaccine. The flu mist nasal vaccine is a live virus so there is an outside chance of it giving you a flu infection, therefore it is not recommended for the segment of the population most likely to die or have severe complications from seasonal flu. A hypothetical norovirus vaccine would likely be a virus like particle which would act much like a killed virus vaccine in that it could not give you norovirus. Your question would be especially a dilemma for an emet if there were a live virus noro vaccine. In that case it would be a tough call wouldn't it? I might avoid it but fortunately that is not the approach the vaccine makers have taken.

Yeah true!!! Yeah I did think it was a bit mental how everyone would have to go through it when getting it.....Im not too familiar with my biology haha. But yep! I'd be fascinated to see who would take it if that was the case...strangely, I think I'd talk myself out of it....if I can go another thirteen years without one then I'm up for the challenge haha

The flu shot does not give you the flu. people love passing along this false statement. I've gotten it every year for 20 yrs and am getting one today actually. the one year I skipped I got a 10 day, 104 degree fever flu and ended up in the ER. I haven't missed since.

The flu shot is completely not capible of giving you the flu. How your immune system works, once you get an infection, it figures it out and developes special cells that kill that specific virus, while that is happening, you're ill. When you're infected again, your body already knows what to do to kill that virus. So it doesn't have a chance to replicate enough to make you ill.
    What a vaccine does is insert some dead virus into your bloodstream. It is unable to replicate and make you sick - however - it does introduce it to your immune system, so if the live virus comes along, it already knows how to kill it.

It's like the difference between being mugged by someone because you don't know he's a bad guy, and the police sending out a photo of a guy who's been mugging people. If you meet the mugger outside, you know to cross the street. But you could never have your wallet stolen by his mug shot.
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

And I'd be first in line for my noro shot. lol
    -Jenni

I'd get the noro shot if it's anything like the flu shot. I don't get the flu shot, but I know I should. Idk why I don't, maybe I will this year. I just always forget, but I bet if I actually got the flu I'd never forget again lol
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

I got my first flu shot last year. Had a loss of appetite for a few days as a side effect. Got it this year and nothing. Arm wasn't even sore the next day.
    -Jenni

100% YES!!!! Are you kidding me? No doubt about it, I'd be in line with the hubs and kiddos in a second flat!

Yyeess!!!!

The flu jab covers influenza types ABC and H1N1 now the noro covers 4 different strains main ones. developing it wasn't easy it took 10 years to disect its RNA and map it out.

I really hope they can get it to market soon. I haven't heard too much buzz about it lately. It's no cure for emet, but I think most even non emetophobic people would want to spare themselves such an inconvenience. My parents (non emets but hate v*) would be right there with me, my brother would refuse (refuses all medical attention, especially vaccines, basically).

yes, i'd get it done!! (despite hating needles...it'd be worth it to save me a lot of worry later on!!!) i can understand how people could scared of even having a dead version of the virus inside their body, but it's still totally safe so i'd definitely do it.
    "Ask her what she craved, and she'd get a little frantic about things like books, the woods, music. Plants and the seasons. Also freedom." -Charles Frazier

ugh, something like that would be a dream come true. i really hope they release a vaccine someday. i'd do almost anything to prevent getting sick.

I get my flu shot every year (never had any side effects from it other than a sore arm.) And I would be in line tomorrow for my noro vaccine if it was available!

I've never gotten a flu shot, but I've also never had the flu. I guess I would consider it when it comes to noro. But it still wouldn't make me completely calm as there are so many other things that can make me sick.