Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Vaccine for Norovirus could be available within 5 years!

For those of you who don't know, a Powder Puff nasal injection which pushes empty Norovirus shells into your system to prevent you catching Norovirus may be available within five years. Here is an extract:

"A vaccine that provides immunity for the ‘winter vomiting bug' norovirus could be available within five years, claim American scientists.A group of rival scientists from Arizona State University and the LigoCyte Pharmaceutical company are both working on a vaccine which is close to being tested in clinical trials.
    The vaccine, unlike conventional vaccine jabs, wouldn’t be injected into the bloodstream but sprayed, or 'puffed' into the nose in the form of a light liquid or dry powder.
    Once inside the nostrils, the powder would trigger an immune response when the norovirus hits the stomach."

Default Re: Vaccine for Norovirus could be available within 5 years!

Whoopee! at long last.

That's great news! Can't wait to start going out like I used to when I was younger and not worrying about contacting this horrid SV*.. Just a few more years of avoiding it now.

yess this couldn't come fast enough!

YESSSS!!! I love that working in a hospital environment means we'll be expected to take it to prevent having time off work and spreading it around.

Quote Originally Posted by itsJoe View Post
    For those of you who don't know, a Powder Puff nasal injection which pushes empty Norovirus shells into your system to prevent you catching Norovirus may be available within five years. Here is an extract:

"A vaccine that provides immunity for the ‘winter vomiting bug' norovirus could be available within five years, claim American scientists.A group of rival scientists from Arizona State University and the LigoCyte Pharmaceutical company are both working on a vaccine which is close to being tested in clinical trials.
    The vaccine, unlike conventional vaccine jabs, wouldn’t be injected into the bloodstream but sprayed, or 'puffed' into the nose in the form of a light liquid or dry powder.
    Once inside the nostrils, the powder would trigger an immune response when the norovirus hits the stomach."
    This all sounds great, however, is this going to give some people the symptoms of noro when they get it, like when people get a flu shot?

I know they say that you cannot get the flu from getting a shot, but I have known several people that got sick after getting one...so, I am leary about something for noro.

Not trying to be be a Debbie downer, but this is what crossed my mind when I read this.

Peace~
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear, is Fear Itself- Franklin D. Roosevelt
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi FreakAboutV, I was also wondering that a couple of days ago. However, if I got sick only that once of taking it, I would definitely still have it done. I would rather v* once or so than v* 30 times when you have the SV*. I don't think it will cause us to get sick though. I've had some flu jabs in the past and nothing happened. I only fainted because I simply got worked up and because I hate needles so much lol

From what I understand, this vaccine (like all other vaccines) will cause you to have a generalized immune response -- you might feel achy, feverish, dizzy because it means your immune system is working. But it won't give you specific noro symptoms.

If people get really sick after a flu shot, it's not from the shot... it takes 2 weeks for the shot to give you immunity, so you can catch the flu just before/after your shot and get sick... especially if you're getting it at a walk-in clinic full of sick people. But that's not as much of a concern for noro, since that's less easy to ingest.

Yeah, that was my initial thought that, after getting the vaccine you develop the symptoms in order for the shot to work but that would kind of negate the whole purpose of it if you're getting it to prevent SV* and it gives you it.
    My mum got the flu shot and once she got it she became ill with flu like symptoms so I'm hoping the same wouldn't happen for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peace View Post
    From what I understand, this vaccine (like all other vaccines) will cause you to have a generalized immune response -- you might feel achy, feverish, dizzy because it means your immune system is working. But it won't give you specific noro symptoms.

If people get really sick after a flu shot, it's not from the shot... it takes 2 weeks for the shot to give you immunity, so you can catch the flu just before/after your shot and get sick... especially if you're getting it at a walk-in clinic full of sick people. But that's not as much of a concern for noro, since that's less easy to ingest.
    This, plus a lot of people think "the flu" = stomach virus. So they'll blame it on the flu shot even though its a completely different illness.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakAboutV View Post
    This all sounds great, however, is this going to give some people the symptoms of noro when they get it, like when people get a flu shot?

I know they say that you cannot get the flu from getting a shot, but I have known several people that got sick after getting one...so, I am leary about something for noro.

Not trying to be be a Debbie downer, but this is what crossed my mind when I read this.

Peace~
    It shouldnt do as when you become infected with norovirus it affects the cells of the small intestine causing inflammation. The immune system response to this inflammation is diarreah and vomiting (hence why some emetephobes are able to have the virus and not vomit and they can program their brain to stop vomitting). The cells will not be able to attach to the small intestine cells and therefore there will be no inflammation and the immune system will take a replication of the virus strain so it can 'remember' the genetic code and protect you in future. Also as it is an empty shell, it should (But dont quote me on this) protect from different strains of norovirus.

Lets hope all the trials go well & its available to the public asap. I paid for the flu jab today with no side effects, had one a couple of years ago & was fine that time too. Id pay whatever they wanted if it meant I was protected from that dreaded virus. 5 years seems a lifetime, how about the new year! Ha worth a go!

I so want this to be true but if the norovirus is constantly mutating would the vaccine not be useless after and have to be modified constantly? Sorry guys I don't wanna sound negative but I always find something to worry about!! Unless s*ness was eradicated forever. That would be heaven!

How would it work for people who are non-secreters? If they don't absorb it already, would they not absorb the vaccine?

Quote Originally Posted by Felina View Post
    I so want this to be true but if the norovirus is constantly mutating would the vaccine not be useless after and have to be modified constantly? Sorry guys I don't wanna sound negative but I always find something to worry about!! Unless s*ness was eradicated forever. That would be heaven!
    True, that's what they have to do with flu shots. With noro vaccine they will have to modify it pretty often.

yes but it's kind of like a template. viruses tend not to randomly mutate, you can find the mutations very quickly after you have a small bank of virus genomes in the lab and know where to look in their genetic sequence.

the nasal spray looks promising. it's an empty virus so the body recognises it as foreign and learns to produce antibodies to it but it doesn't contain anything that aggravates the intestines and cause the symptoms. i'm hoping we can get that one out asap!!!

I hate shots, but I'm having it done straight away when it's available.
    Virtue - "You don't need a reason to help people"

Rls good news for you, it's a nasal spray not a shot

That's the same way I got the swine flu (H1N1) vaccine in 2009
    hope it works

Peace got it right. They are working on a shot version as well, to come after the nasal spray one.

The company has just been bought by a much larger company, which is GREAT news. It means a) it's very promising and b) there will be more money and better facilities for testing.

It won't make a difference whether you are a secretor or a non-secretor as the vaccine isn't settling into your gut, BUT if it did work that way it wouldn't matter. If you were so immune that the vaccine couldn't settle into your gut then you would be immune to the actual virus anyways.

I'm optimistic about this vaccine!

Hopefully they could speed up the process as development and research continues, 5 years is bearable but it would be nice to have it by the end of 2014. Also I was so relieved when I saw it was a nasal injection rather than a shot, I have a phobia of injections so this was just a bonus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh, that's even better then! Wouldn't bother me if it was a shot anyway, I would still have it. As Joe said, I've also got a phobia of injections so having spray has made me even more happier.
    Virtue - "You don't need a reason to help people"