Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I have been doing good lately with no stomach problems for the past two weeks (which is like a record for me.) until to today that is. It hit me like a ton of bricks and now I have d* and upset stomach. I am trying to finish out my last few minutes at work, but this stinks!!! You just wish that you could put on some sweat pants and go lay down at home...Sorry to vent, others with IBS will understand the inconsistency with it...You never know what foods are going to trigger it or why, its always changing, and you never know when it will hit you. I hate this!!!

hi silver

i also have IBS do you think that it makes your emet worse? i tend to panic when i get d* (which is 3-4 times a week sometimes) as i always think i am going to v* do you get this too.

lyndsayanne

I hear you there!!!! I get d* usually like 3-4 times per week also and lately, yes, I have been freaking out that it is something worse. Right now I am worried that I have an sv starting even though rational sense stated that nobody I know has has one recently and it doesn't seem to be going around right now in the SW United States. I am like you though, I get worked up and worry about it. I worry to no ends that I am going to have it from both ends and that is like my biggest fear, no being able to control things or myself. It makes no sense, we have d* so much that we should be totally used to it and not worry about anything else happening. IBS really stinks!!! (literally too...hahahahahaa, I had to make a joke to make myself feel better about it.)

hey,

i have ibs as well, and i freak everytime i feel sick...i do believe that it makes my emet worse....

i have been doing great, but today i am having an attack....i think it is b/c i ate out last night and i ate a lot.... regardless of what it is, i feel gross and im starting to really panic

I have IBS too! It tends to flare up with I eat in public and can't stay still after eating, so I have to be VERY CAREFUL when and where I eat. The pain and gas is embarrassing. Currently I don't have the D* associated with it, rather the constipation phase.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I also have IBS and have had it for over 20 yrs.....IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You never know when it will strike and when it's just ibs or sv....i hate it...you are right about we should be used to having D numerous times a week even many times a day...but there is still that lingering thought that this could really be a sv...that's what is so bad about ibs...you don't know.....and it's hard to tell the diff..b/c you feel bad anyway with ibs...so you might as well assume it's a sv......which makes our emet so much worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have any of you all tried Digestive Advantage/IBS.....??? It's a godsend for me....it works very well for me.....i take one a day...it's a chewable and tastes good....i get it at Walgreens....it's cheap too.....it regulates the bowels.....try them.....I can relate to all of you with IBS!!! It's horrible[img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Hi ALL,
    Another IBS sufferer here but I only get constipation, which feels horrible and affects my stomach with n* too. My worry is when I don't go for days, that all the toxins are building up in my system and will cause cancer and all kinds of stuff. My doc says it is not true but the naturopaths say it is. What to do?

It doesn't matter if its constipation or diharrea, it stinks to have it!! Mine kicked into high gear yesterday too. I took my nefew to the park and to Olive Garden. Within an hour after I ate and we were at the park, my stomach went and I have to find the nearest bathroom ASAP...You all understand the urgency here...I just hate not knowing when it will be bad and being somewhere where I can't lay down and relax and be close to a bathroom. It makes me not want to leave the damn house sometimes, it can be so embarrassing, inconvenient, and uncomfortable. I am seriously considering going back on a low dose of anti-depressants as they have helped soooo much in the past. Yesterday I felt panicy and really n* too with a big headache. Most of the time I get a bad headache too so I don't know whether to take something to stop the d* or to stop the headache. I wish that they made something that helped both...

silver,

Ah, but they do make something which may help with both. I am not sure if you get it in US, but Neurofen plus contains both ibuprofen for the pain and codeine as another pain reliever, but also the codeine is an anti-d* medication and so you may find it helps. Of course I suggest that you discuss any other medical problems that you may have with the pharmacist before you consider taking (thats my disclaimer by the way !!! :; ).

I am also IBS, mine manifests itself as incredibly painful lower bowel spasms and massive gas. Mostly bought about by fruit, but I just have to keep eating that.

Iain

the problem with my ibs is that i never know when i will be constipated or have d*.....i always feel sick to my stomach with it and that causes me to have an anxiety attack, which in turn makes it so much worse. i would rather have the constipation, cause i really dont get d* i just go 8 times a day and feel so sick from it....

im having an ibs day today and im student teaching so i cant just sit at home....i hate when even drinking water makes me feel sick...what i find does help a bit is aloe vera juice.....it might work for you

Its so amazing how stress affects your body. From headaches, to stomaches, it affects us all differently. I am absolutely convinced that my IBS is brought on by stress. Its been flaring up as I have an interview for a new position today. I am a wreck with a bad headache and stomache for the past 5 days!!

I have it too, I was jsut thinking abot this actually about an hour ago. I'm in the d* stage right now but those are few and far between for me. I'm usually just ridiculously constipated. I wish there was something that I could take for it. The medication suggested has codiene, which for me is the devil! I am highly allergic and get n* just when handling it. I got severly dehydrated last time I took it from v* so much and that was when I lwas like 4or 5 I just don't take it anymore!

I have heard of a drug called ZELNORM for people that suffer with the constipation side of IBS, but I havne't heard of anything for the diharrea side of it...I use Imodium AD, which is about the only thing that relieves the d*, a heating pad really does help with the cramps that come along with it too... Anybody use anything else that seems to work??

buscopan is over the counter and i think that it helps the d* side of things i do not know what is called in the US.

I use Spasmonal (Alverine Citrate) which helps with the cramps.
    As I am not really of the IBS-D type then I can't really suggest
    anything that you haven't tried that might work for the d.

Iain

I'm suffering so much with it lately and I've been taking immodium too much too because it freaks me out having D* and cramps at work. Does anyone else get the awful nausea too? Well anyway I've not taken any immodium for a few days to let my system rest, because too much is probably not good, and I'm suffering for it. I'm trying to resist the urge b/c immodium gives me cramps and all anyway but when that nausea hits it's so very hard. It's making me so tired literally panicking all day at work and I don't know what to do. Any ideas? This all just started 6 months ago when I was going througha LOT of stress, and I still can't get used to that nauseated feeling when I have an attack.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Hippy Chick- I understand the nausea too...I am experiencing it right now. I think that it gets worse at work because you know that you just have to stick it out and get through it. The cramps, bloating, diharrea, and nausea, its awful. If this just flaired up for you in the last six months, it might be a good idea to get a full physical to rule out other causes...Wouldn't it be horrible to have thought that it was stress the whole time and find out it could have been easily cured because it was actually something else?? If they can't rule out anything else, they usually tell you that its IBS which is a catch-all for all kinds of symptoms. A couple things that have helped me with the cramps and n* is putting a small heating pad on my stomach. I know what you mean about the immodium only plugging you up...get the immodium AD, it also helps with gas, pain, and bloating. As far as the nausea, I get it A LOT and haven't found anything that helps except some how getting my attention away from it. If all else fails (I am at that point) a very low dose anti-depressant helps a lot. Paxil CR made a night and day difference for me as far as my stomach for the year that I was on it. The doctor said yoga and relaxation would help, but for me it never did. Also, something to think about, I have struggled with this for about 8 years so I have realized a little bit of a pattern to it. It gets bad when I really need to make some changes in my life. Either a bad relationship, different job, I am depressed, whatever. I look at it as my body's way of telling me that something is wrong. I am sorry that I am rambling, I just hate to know that someone else is going through it to....I totally sympathize....Hope it helps...

I think it started when I moved house, I didn't feel stressed but usually my subconscious has a way of saying "hey you are really stressed" It's nice like that huh? I can deal with the nausea in my own home because I know what it is, but I stress when I am at work and it's getting me down a lot. I know I need to see a Dr but I find it very hard, I'm so bad at dealing with stress. Anyway I had it under control til I started this new job and it flared up again. Thanks for the tips. I am going to the health food store tomorrow to see what I can find.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I tried Zelnorm for the constipation and it just made me n*, nothing great happened. But everyone is different. It seems that the serotonin in our brains is also in our digestive tract, in much larger proportions. So that is why some antidepressants help too. Zelnorm is supposed to regulate the serotonin in the tract. Not for me!!!

Yup, I'm certain that the serotonin issue is why Paxil made my IBS disappear. Of course, there are probably so many different causes of IBS that no one thing will work for all.

Quote Originally Posted by andee
    I tried Zelnorm for the constipation and it just made me n*, nothing great happened. But everyone is different. It seems that the serotonin in our brains is also in our digestive tract, in much larger proportions. So that is why some antidepressants help too. Zelnorm is supposed to regulate the serotonin in the tract. Not for me!!!