Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

well, I have to write a paper for my abnormal pysch class on how the media portrays pyschological disorders.

I'm pretty sure I want to do the portrayl of OCD and the movie "as good as it gets" with Jack Nickleson.

I'm having trouble getting going on it ans I plan to rent the movie tonight to rewatch it ( its been awhile)

for those of you who have OCD and have seen the movie, how do you think it portrays people with OCD? do you think its realistic? are there any parts of the movie that stick out to you for any reason?

any of your opinions would be appreciated!

~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

The movie is overly dramatic and exaggerated to be finny and
    entertaining. It's not an accurate portrayal of the OCD that most
    people have although it is kind of humorous to see many actual OCD
    rituals that people have.

I'd like to point out that emetophobia and OCD are not the same thing.
    Sure, many of us have hand washing rituals but when dependance on the
    ritual controls someone's life, that's more of an OCD thing. I don't
    fear all germs or illnesses, just when it can make me V.

Another movie suggestion for OCD is "The Aviator" You have to watch it closely though, b/c at times the OCD behavior is almost not noticeable. I think that movie is relatively accurate as far as OCD, especially if it gets to a very severe stage, like Howard Hughes' did.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

[QUOTEI'd like to point out that emetophobia and OCD are not the same thing. Sure, many of us have hand washing rituals but when dependance on the ritual controls someone's life, that's more of an OCD thing. I don't fear all germs or illnesses, just when it can make me V.
    [/QUOTE]

Oh I am well aware of that. they do have alot of the same characteristics, though. My paper is not on emet, but alot of people on this site have OCD, so thats why I'm asking.

I find OCD facinating, it really shows the power the mind can have over the body.Edited by: Babydoll
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

I haven't seen the movie 'As Good as it Gets' however have OCD, so if theres anything I could help with, let me know.

Also, does this movie portray a person with OCD? Or what exactly?</font>

I have to agree with kel12347 - I think the Aviator did a good job portraying OCD, although to an extreme extent. However, there were some things that I think were accurate even for people like me with mild OCD - washing your hands until they bleed, not wanting to touch a bathroom door handle. My husband was kind of shocked as we watched that movie and I admitted that I do some of those things too. I have only seen parts of As Good As It Gets and it was a long time ago, so I can't really help you there. Good luck with your paper!

Another show you might pick up or rent on DVD is the TV series "Monk".

It's about a homicide detective with OCD.

HILARIOUS. Watch one episode and you'll be hooked. So so funny!
    It airs on the USA network but it's not in season right now.

i have seen that film once, its when i started realising i may have ocd. I am now 21, have had ocd since i was 13 ish, maybe longer.its been ages since i watched the film, i dont remember much about it so i apologise if what i write below is not related to it.

I have seen several programs where people quite openly have ocd, none of them seem to address some of the emotional issues, at my worst i was unable to have a sexual relationship with my bf, depressed and almost took my own life, at my best i hardly think about it. The programs never show the people having a good day or a bad day, it seems like a consistent thing. Hardly anyone knows about my ocd, it is so hard trying to hide it, it would be nice to see something where someone is battling for a normal life, coping with their emotions.

Im going to have to watch the film now, i want to see how ocd is portrayed. There have been a couple of dramas about ocd in the uk in the last couple of years, they made me feel like a freak i hope the film is different, ill prob watch it tomorrow - ill let u know what i think.

If you would like any help, or want to know any experiences i have had with ocd i would be more than happy to share them.

One thing that sticks out in my mind clearly was covering ocd in my psychology class in school and realising the book we were reading could have been me - we covered it in abnormal psych - the term abnormal had a massive effect on me.