Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

i don't really know where to start right now. i'm having a really bad panic/anxiety attack. i'm really scared. i'm by myself. my mom is usually here and she calms me down, but she isn't here. i have to get ready to go to work and i can't. i'm really freaking out. i'm trying to do deep breathing and self talk but it isn't working. i'm really shaky. i have all these anxious thoughts going on in my head. i have some questions maybe some one can help me. how long after you eat something do you get food poisoning? if i were to be getting food poisoning would i feel hungry? my stomach is really hurting but i don't know if i am hungry or if i am sick. i ate last night at 8:00.i had a burrito from el pollo loco and now i'm not sure it it was good or not. i had tuna for lunch and that was at 2:00. if the food i ate yesterday was bad would i be sick by now? it is now 9:30 in the morning.i'm terrified to eat for fear that i might v*. i don't know what to do. i need to be at work in about 30 mins. i'm really really scared and worried.[img]smileys/smilies_25.gif[/img]

First of all, RULE #1 for e-phobes: We do not eat at Mexican
    restaurants!!!! They are notorious for food code violations. Especially
    Taco Bell. Good grief!

The incubation period should be within a week but most commonly within the first 3 days/72 hours.

I would suggest that you DO eat, but eat things that won't upset your
    stomach like Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwhiches, toast, soup. Stay
    occupied so the time goes by faster. Rent some movies or something and
    when that third day rolls around and you're feeling fine, we'll all be
    celbrating for you.

Edited by: liriodendron

Hi missy77.. if the food were bad you'd probably get sick right away. It's the same with being lactose-intolerant.. the pain is probably your stomach's way of saying that it needs food.. I know how it feels, I've been through the same episodes myself. Hang in there..

I just finished a food saftey and sanitation class and food poisioning comes from one of two things. Toxins or bacteria. Toxins would make you sick within 12 hours, because they have no incubation period. Bacteria needs a gestation period, which is anywhere from 2-5 days. I'm sure your fine. But I agree with the avoidance of mexican food! mesican resturants are a no no for me too! I hope you feel better.
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

With the exception of CHIPOTLE of course. Because they ROCK!!!!
    \"This too shall pass\"

thank you all so much for your replies. i had to leave work early because my anxiety was so bad. i'm trying my hardest not to think about food poisoning. i eat at el pollo loco all the time. the only thing that i eat from there is a bean, rice and cheese burrito. that's what i had last night. right now i had half a sandwhich and some chicken noodle soup. so hopefully i am fine. it's awful that you have to wait anywhere between 2-5 days fora bacteria to gestate or whatever. whatdo in the meantime, not eat? i'm sorry, ijust get frustrated withthe way that i feel. i wish my emet and anxietywould just go away. i have good days and then i have bad days. todayis just a bad day. but thanks again you guys! xoxox

You're going to be fine. Sometimes our digestive systems are just a little off, you know? Glad you could leave work and go someplace comfy. Although, I am sorry you were experiencing such terrible anxiety. Try to hang in there.
    \"This too shall pass\"

Maybe your state posts restaurant inspections online. And if you can
    pull up their inspections and if they have a good score then maybe you
    could calm down a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by shiva
    With the exception of CHIPOTLE of course. Because they ROCK!!!!

And FAJITA'S! With lots of sour cream. (yes I am pregnant[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img])

I do eat out at mexican restaurants and i don;t really freak out. I do occasionally feel yuck, but I chalk it up to all the fat in the food. I do love it and even though I don't do it often, i do it. You have to live a little on the edge and yes, I worry about V* more than many, but I guess if I really want something bad enough and I do desire that great fajita taste...I go for it.
    TRY to live each day like it were your last

Go for the sizzling fajitas - can't go wrong there, you can eat
    everything that is served sizzling hot!

Hiya, i know how you feel hunny, im going through the exact same thing
    at the moment. I ate raw egg on weds as you probably know so have been
    waiting to get ill I can tell you that for salmonella poisoning, the
    uncubation is 12 to 72 hours i can find out for other types when i go
    back to uni, its bound to be in one of my text books.

The funny thing is, if it were to happen to someone else, i could give
    so much reassurance and medical facts to prove it, but when it happens
    to me, all logic just goes out the window

I hope you are feeling better now *hugs*

Hi...I know how you feel. Sometimes those panic attacks just creep up on ya, and the "bad" thoughts just WILL NOT leave. All logic goes ka-put. But, I'm sure you are fine. Sometimes with me, if I have one panic attack, I have more of them. They are such a pain in the ass. You did great making it to work! I might have skipped out on the whole thing.

Hang in there!

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

Definately eat, go to work, take a deep breath, whatever you have to do to feel better. A lot of times if i am afraid I have eaten something bad, i make myself feel worse worrying about it. I know what everyone is saying about Mexican food though...I just moved to Texas and everyone keeps telling me to get a Hepatitis A shot because there are always outbreaks here. I have taken my kids but need to get the shot myself. I don't know about you guys, but I always take care of my kids first.

Take care of yourself though and don't worry...you'll be ok!