Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hello everyone, haven't posted in a while but its been a hectic past
    few weeks what with highschool work and also babysitting like crazy
    (which is stressful enough as it is). But then it just so happens my
    Mom was driving me to school yesterday and said, "You know, they are
    expecting a huge flu breakout. They're going to have a whole pandemic
    about it. It's supposedly really bad." And also, she said that getting
    a flu shot won't help against this particular strain of the virus,
    because it is newly found. This is set to be worse in the states, but I
    turned on the TV last night and all I hear is.."flu outbreak has now
    been transferred to Canda.."

Anyway.. I don't mean to scare people but I really need help facing
    this. There's info about it here:
    http://news.google.ca/news?q=expected+flu+outbreak&am p;am p;hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=nn&oi=newsr

Please visit that, read the news reports and tell me if I'm on the
    wrong track or overreacting or not understanding this at all, but most
    importantly: What suggestions do you have to keep healthy? It's almost
    like Im thinking, "I know I can run but I can't hide from the flu
    again..."

Also, one last thing: Do you get your flu shot? I was thinking about
    making a poll about this, but if I don't, then can you post the answer
    here? Thanks.

Take care,

Laura</font>

Edited by: sunshine16

Everything I found listed on the link above was in regards to the notorious "bird flu". Yes, it is true that they are expecting an outbreak of the bird flu, however, I don't think you need to be worried.

FACTS:

1.) It is almost ALWAYS contracted by people who have direct contact with birdsand any of their secretions.

2.) There are only VERY few instances in which the virus was spread human to human (and even that is iffy w/ the fact that you need to prove that they person didn't have contact w/ a bird)

3.)I was listening to the news yesterday and we are all stock piling up on drugs for the flu, and if the strain were to change, it would only take us 6 months to create enough of a new vaccine.

4.) THE VIRUS HAS NOT MUTATED AS OF YET! This means that it cannot spread easily from human to human. That is what all this hysteria is over.

Remember when SARS came out, and everyone panicked about contracting that? Well, we're all still alright.

You're chances of getting this is slim to none right now. Believe me, if this becomes a pendemic, could you imagine what the media would be like? We will know, THE DAY that this virus goes through this mutation!

RIght now only one hundred and something people have caught this virus, and 60-something have died. SO out of billions of people, only 100 or so have caught it and only 60-something have died... to put it into perspective.

I hope that helps
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

I heard it could only be spread from human to human through touching feces of other humans that are infected?or touching someones hands with feces on it? am i wrong? it sounds a little off
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

Last I heard the Bird Flu wasn't in the united states. But I'm thinking that if it DOES come here I'll be safe. I live very close to the city and very far away from anyone that would have chickens and what not. I also live alone so my chances of getting ANY Flu are very slim. I wouldn't worry about it if you don't live close to chickens or any other kind of bird.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Here's the link to one other informative thread about the bird flu, and it should make your fears go away..

http://www.emetophobia.org/forum/for...sp?TID=5635&am p;KW=avian+flu