Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

ok all, I am going to cabo san lucas tomorrow for my honeymoon/first anniversary and I have been so excited but now that it is so close my anxiety is getting the best of me. It is a 4 hour plane ride broken up by 2 hour flight to phoenix, 2 more to cabo. I know it will be fine, my hubby will be with me, I'm bringing all sorts of books, we have our portable DVD player, and i have a fresh supply of Xanax. But i can't help it, flying is the ultimate emet/panic challenge for me. (not to mention being in a another country, lol)

Please think of me and say a little prayer...i'll feel better knowing I have the prayers of you guys behind me!

is this your first time flying?

No, I have flown a lot, but haven't done longer than a 2 hour trip for several years, and haven't taken a big trip like this since my anxiety got really high a few years ago.

Don't worry!

My emet is worse when it comes to other people being sick and I flew to Europe for my honeymoon this past summer (8 hours each way).I was just fine.You have all of the right things: DVD player, books and Xanax. Another thing that was comforting to me was to havea window seat so I could look out the window if I needed to. My doctor suggested that I take a Xanax (0.5 mg) in the lounge before boarding the plane and that I could take another one on the plane if I needed to. He assured me that I would be sleeping fairly efficiently from that dose.

Here are a couple of things my therapist told me to rehearse before flying:

1. I have been on several flights and I have never seen anyone sick.

2. Most people have control enough of their own bodies to go to the bathroom if they are sick.

3. My anxiety is finite: it has a beginning, a middle and an end.

4. I will not "lose it" if I am anxious. It is okay to be anxious.

5. I am not in any danger if anyone gets sick. It can't hurt me, it is only gross. ( this is the most important!)

Good luck and know we are thinking about you!

Happyteacher

Congratulation! I hope you have tons of fun. I think everyone else who's responded so far has covered the essentials, so I'll spare you :c)

Have fun!
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

Ahh, thank you so much!! You guys are the best, I knew I could count on you for encouragement. All very good tips, thanks!

I'll post when I get back. Thanks again!

Yech! You have some major cajones. They said on the news that
    gastrointestinal illnesses were breaking out in Cancun from the
    aftermath of the hurricane. Gross!

Quote Originally Posted by liriodendron
    Yech! You have some major cajones. They said on the news that gastrointestinal illnesses were breaking out in Cancun from the aftermath of the hurricane. Gross!

Check, she shouldn't drink the water or eat the fruits or veggies unless they have been well cooked... buy bottled water and so forth. I'm sure she'll be fine as long as she's careful about what she and her signif other eats.
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

Hope you have lots of fun and everything goes smoothly. You're in my thoughts. Please post upon your return,</font>

Hi everyone -

Well, everyhting went GREAT. Cabo is actually on the other side of the country from Cancun. I wouldn't be crazy enough to go to hurricane country!

The flights were perfectly smooth and I was extremely calm - so proud of myself. We stayed at the nicest all inclusive resort I've ever seen, so all the food and water was for tourists...we were perfectly healthy the whole time and the food was wonderful! I never even felt nauseous once or had d* or anything.

Thanks for your encouragement. I feel so good...I love doing things that build my confidence like that! Now I feel like I can do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by mjewell

Now I feel like I can do anything.

I hear there's some bird cages in Asia that need cleaning. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Great to hear you made it and had a good time.