Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Due to v*?

Does anyone else feel like this? Whenever I feel good, I stop and think "Hold on...this is not right...how can I be feeling this good? It won't last, I haven't been ill for so long, I'm just bound to v* sooner or later,"

I'm so sick of the feeling that I'm "due" to v*. I know it doesn't work like that, but still, whenever I'm feeling ok, these sorts of thoughts creep into my head...

lol, sorry guys, mini rant. Just had to get it off my chest....

I have this thought all the time. Sage, if you could respond to this and give us some ideas on how to get rid of this distortion, it would be helpful.

My therapist and I discussed this idea. She likened it to a car accident. The last time I was in a car accident I was 16 (minor fender bender). So b/c that hasn't happened for 11 years, does that mean that it's destined to happen soon? The analogy makes some sense, but the longer I go without an illness, the stronger this feeling of doom gets.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

Quote Originally Posted by angel13

Does anyone else feel like this? Whenever I feel good, I stop and think "Hold on...this is not right...how can I be feeling this good? It won't last, I haven't been ill for so long, I'm just bound to v* sooner or later,"

Yes I know this so well. But I am also aware that isnot the right way. Cause if we feel good and then we suddenly think "Oh why I feel so good, how long will it last."

Iknow I have to rethink. Ishould behappy about the timeI feel good, when I have no nausea and no panic oranything like that. And I shouldnīt think (and live) about (in) the future. No one knows what will happens next year, next month, tomorrow,..... So we should enjoyevery second (especially ifwe feel good!) and every moment. Past is over, future isnīthere yet, so we have the chance to live a great present!
    Vergangenheit ist es erst, wenn es nicht mehr weh tut!

I get that way too. Seriously, even if I feel really good for only like an hour I get weirded out. Ugh, the misery.

<3 Allie
    **No one knows what it\'s like behind my green eyes.**

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

From when I was really young until I was about 12, I decided that the way it worked was I either worried that something bad was going to happen or something bad actually would happen (v* usually)so if I was having a good time I would suddenly realise and panic.

Yep, do it all the time...i was laying in bed last night....finally with no nausea...and i was laying there thinking...ok i am feeling halfway decent now....when will the nausea come agian....and of course this am when i woke and still there was no nausea i was in shock...so all day today i have been thinking..ok it's going to come on any minute....but so far it hasn't...so yeah i know what you mean..........i am forever thinking ok i am feeling waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too good here....so it's destined to happen very very soon.
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

yea, i always feel like im "due" also..
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

I always think that too...I haven't V*ed in 5 or 6 years *Knock on wood* doesn't that mean I'm "DUE" For it sometime in the near future? It scares the HELL out of me!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I read this and all I can think of is that Nickleback song where he says "Somethin's gotta go wrong cuz I'm feeling way too damn good" So now I have that song in myhead!! haha!!

All jokes aside, I know this feeling all too well. I live that every dayof my life, whether it be about nausea, V, or even just panic attacks. I will be having a great day and then all of a sudden I'll be like wait a minute, I haven't had apanic attack yet today and Iactually feel good.... No this can't be right. I don't feel NORMAL unless I feel stressed and uptight and panicky.Its totally ridiculous.

Ugh.

Lisa

I absolutely know how you feel. My irrational emet mind does it all the time.

Now for pragmatism. There is no such thing as "due" for anything. Statistically, you have the same chance of v*** on any given day. If you get a sv, the immunity is so short-lived that you have the exact chance of getting it one day two weeks later as if you did not have one for fifty years. The odds are exactly the same. However, we emets are so illogical in our thinking.

What I worry about is what kind of year are we going to have. Last year from the first week of October straight into May, this area was plagued with stomach viruses. For two weeks in February, there was a respiratory influenze that went around. There was about a two week respite in January where I did not hear of sv, but other than that it was horrible. My childrens' school had a huge epidemic right before winter break. One day 75 kids went home v***. One day two thirds of the school of 344 kids were out sick and on that particular day 35 went home v***. I am so scared of a repeat of the same type of thing. I just want to go to sleep today and wake up in March. Even if the weather is miserable in March and everyone is sick, I will know only last another month or so. At this point, we could be in for six months of this.

Stella

YES i feel guilty all teht iem fro having a good tiem and feeling healthy and if
    it s too long i get hypochondricative

Angel, it's for people like you thatI created my world-famous vomit streaks page: http://faq.emetophobia.net/streaks.html

You can take comfort in knowing that even decades of being retch free does not make you "overdue."

Doug

P.S. Did you know whales vomit every few days to get rid of all the debris they swallow? So I suppose a whale could be overdue. I wonder if there are emet whales who are careful not to eat debris?

I'm the same way too, I figure both myself and my son are "due" this season, since it's been a year and a half since our last bout. Emet is such a pain in the ass sometimes!

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

Thanks for that gumdropper- I added my name! Love hearing about people's streaks. Is that true about Jerry seinfeld? If so, go him!

And yes, makes me glad I'm not a whale!...isn't it called amber gris? The stuff they used to use in cosmetics?! I'm not sure.

Its nice to know other people feel exactly the same, though ^_^

Sorry this is late, but yes I get anxious if things are going too well and not even just emet wise. If life in general is pretty low on the stress meter I wonder what's going to happen to ruin it. It's a horrible way to go thru life and I think acknowledging that it's irrational is probably a good start. I like the car accident analogy, it's so true. This seems to be the line of thought for us people w/ anxiety issues, kind of a "if I have nothing to worry about I better worry" thing. That's why I'm glad we can come here, vent it and hear other people's "success" stories or that they feel the same to add some comfort.

That is interesting about the whales too! Glad I'm not a whale!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Wow, Doug, every time I try to click on that link, it shuts down my whole internet explorer. Kind of spooky. Anyway, I am working on 21 years this Dec!!

MaryEdited by: harmonygirl72
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Quote Originally Posted by harmonygirl72

Wow, Doug, every time I try to click on that
    link, it shuts down my whol internet explorer. Kind of spooky. Anyway,
    I am working on 21 years this Dec!!

Mary

it's doing the same thing to me! are you sending us viruses LOL[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

JAMIE DAWN