Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Major Anxiety!!

I'm grouchy and I constantly have butterflies in my stomach......I HATE THIS!!!...my son is in kindergarten, when I picked him up today, he told me a classmate was "really sick"...his tummy hurt and he went to the health room and never came back!...I know it could be other causes than an sv, but my mind won't stop thinking otherwise....I fell like he's going to get sick and throw up...i'm so scared!!!These sv's seem to be so prevalent nowadays, that i'm sure it's coming anyday now....HELP......what do you parents do to get through the school year day after day, without so much worrying??..Please anyone, I want to be happy and worry free!
    ~Sheri~

Well, I'm not worry free, but I hand my son hand sanitizer when I pick him up from school, before he gets in the car. Then we get home and wash our hands. I figure it's better than nothing, and is a precaution we can take.
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

Tayda, I put hand sanitizer in my kids backpacks, but I know they aren't using them....but I'm not there so not much I can do.....What sucks is all the other non-emet parents out there that have no care about hygiene for their kids, and then those are the kids that pass all the germs around, ya know?...I almost feel like what's the point!...Thank you for your response. How old is your son?...has he been ill a lot from school?

~Sheri~

He's four, and is still in pre school. He has only gotten a runny-nose cold w/ a cough. But other than that he has been fine, and only v* 1x (thank god--- shudders). And I definitely know what you're talking about about other kids. When my son was sick, I kept him home for like 3 days so that it wouldn't get worse while his immune system was down. Fortunately, I have a pretty healthy kid thus far.
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

I have a 3 year old and he just had a bad cough that i know he got from school. he does V* pretty easily which sucks for me, but only 2 SV's ever. i do make him wash his hands a lot and I smiled when you talked about keeping him home for 3 days. My son got his cough last Tuesday and he only goes to pre-school monday and friday. I still didn't send him today since he is still coughing and I thought that i hate it when parents send their kids sick. Oddly enough, I wish every parent was an emet and worried about their kids like we do so that would help keep tons of germs away.
    TRY to live each day like it were your last

Yeah, I second that Gubba!My son has this bad cough at night for like the lastweek, I don't know what it is...no other symptoms...only at night....a wet cough that keeps him up, not sure what to do. Imagine a school for children of emets!..lol.
    ~Sheri~

One thing that I have learned to remind myself is that in children MANY things cause tummy aches. I remember when I was in 1st grade and my mom got a job away from home. I went to school with a stomach ache every day. My daughter is in the 4th grade and I find that usually when kids puke in school it's strep throat. (knock on wood)

I know whatcha mean, though. Jade was telling me that she was never going to eat at this certain restaraunt the other day. I asked her why. She said that her very good friend ate there recently and had food poisoning. I was like... YIKES! I tortured myself over that one for days. Was it really food poisoning? Is there a bug going around? It's hard.
    \"This too shall pass\"

I know what you mean Shiva, when people say food poisoning, i'm sure it's a virus headed our way!! Is Jade your daughter? She sounds like us, I hope not! I hope your right about the strep throat thing....i'm mostly worried about sv's with my kids because they could vomit over and over and over.....possibly in the middle of the night...my worst fear. I t would't be so bad if it were 1 time. Thank you Shiva for you reply...have a good evening.
    ~Sheri~

What gets me through is realizing that I can't control if my kids get sick from school. And, even if they do, I can and will deal with it and I will survive. I won't enjoy it; I'll get clammy, nervous and have to go the bathroom a lot, but I can do it because I've done it before.

I go to different schools every day and I always ask the nurses "what's going around?" I know that the dreaded sv is going around a lot here [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]. My daughter had "that look" on her face last night and told me her tummy hurt. I started to panic, but started my self talk and it helped.

We're stronger than we think. And our minds are very powerful at either getting us to give intothe fear or to overcome it.

It's my biggest challenge as a mother to be there for my kids through my fear. I'd rather deal with myself being sick than them.[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]Edited by: carlie

I have a question for you mothers. I have heard that kids get sick alotmainly the first few years they are in school as their immune systems get stronger. So, my question is, do you think if they are exposed to other children when they are real young, like from infancy to age 3 (say with play groups or something), their immune systems will get built uip before they start school?

I know this sounds like a strange question, but I am thinking of getting prego in the next few years and trying to figure out how I am going to deal with this. For me it is not as scary when a baby or very young kid v*s so much as when a 4, 5, 6 or 7 year old does.

Supposedly 4-7 is when kids get the most illnesses, after that age the4y have stronger immune systems and/or can get themselves to the bathroom more often when they are v*ing. So I guess ages 4-7 is what I am scared of!

I give all u parents credit, My husband and I are trying for a baby and I wonder what I will do come school time!

We have mostly had problems with upper respiratory things here. Jade (my daughter) is 9 and she's only had a couple sv's. (knock on wood!) She's had strep throat a few times and bronchitis a couple of times. She's only a couple of times picked up those strange fever/achy viruses that knock em on their butts for a couple days then go away as quick as they came. Oh, and for a couple of years got influenza (2 years in a row) Now we do flu shots and winters are much easier!

\"This too shall pass\"

I deal with it best when theyactually do get it. Does that sound weird? They have always only gotten it once a season, so if they get it I know we're over it for the year.

Of course I'd really rather they not get it at all. Like someone else said, when we get home from school we wash our hands. We have a routine when we walk in the door--shoes off and in the closet, coats and backpacks hung and straight to the bathroom to wash hands--before going potty (and also after of course). I am lucky that my kids go to a school where they emphasize hand washing. I have a preschooler, kindergartener, and second grader, and their teachers ask them if they've washed up after potty and send them back if they haven't. They also wash prior to eating snacks and lunch. I worry sometimes that having them wash upsomuch will make them like me, but we don't really talk about the preventing v* part, just the preventing getting sick period with anything (colds, strep, etc.) and it's just second nature for them now to wash their hands after potty and before eating. My 7 year old seems to be "over the hump" (knock wood) as he hasn't v* in over a year now. Plus I can't even remember the last time we all had bad colds. Strep throat seems to be our family's illness of choice
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

mommy, I used to get strep ALL the time when I was a kid. However, I eventually had my tonsils and adenoids removed and haven't gotten it since. (wierd). I know how you feel w/ the strep ordeal though. (my fiance, Mike, has it now), and he gets it every year around now. It's wierd 'cause it's true that it is usually a little kid illness that they eventually stop getting.