Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

That I really did not want to hear about.

Apparently, in a town about 60-70 miles away form us, there is a "bad stomach illness running rampant through the schools in" ........... and it listed the counties. They radio said it was a bacterial infection called ginella, chinella, something like that. Anyway, it freaked me out!!!!

THEN, as if that wasnt enough, just as we were pulling up to the school to drop of the children, my youngest daughter says .............. "My throat hurts." So, of course my anxiety level shot up. Well, she had been drinking her juice and then she burped and then she said her throat felt better. So after she said that, my anxiety went back down. THEN, not two mins later, she says."I think I need to throw up." (something to that effect, cant remember the exact words) She said, "I think I need to do it out there in the grass." I was freaking out!!!! Turns out she was fine, I dont know if she burped and that made her feel like that or what, or even if she really felt like v'ing. Who knows?!?!!?

Anyway, I am so glad to have this site to come to and be able to tell someone about this that understands.

Could it have been called Shigella? That is a foodborne illness. It is a reportable illness. The health depts track them. Heres a link to a fact sheet

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/5563.html

this is from the CDC - http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/disea...gellosis_g.htmEdited by: madisonsmom

It was probably shigella--there have been outbreaks here before in day cares.

What a stressful morning for you--hope everyone will be OK!

Jess

I thought I would remember the name of the illness better than what I did. I know that they said it was a bacterial stomach infection that you have to take an antibiotic to clear it up. They didnt say anything about what the actual symptoms are. (Like if it was just diarrhea, or what.) I thought it started with a "G" I could have heard it wrong though, seeing as how I was having my little freak out, lol ..........................[img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]
    Edited by: jennyleigh1975

I went to the website for the newspaper from one of the towns affected with this stomach illness, and it is Shigella. Apparently, this has been going around since late Sept. I wonder why they cant seem to get a better hold on controling it, and getting it cleared up?

It's very difficult to "get rid" of it because it mainly affects children, and we all know that children aren't always as particular with their hygiene as we are (except children of emets, of course!) From what I remember, it is passed through contact of infected stool, so handwashing is a MUST. Whenever we have an outbreak in our county, we have to send a nurse from the health department to go around to all of the day cares and educate everyone on proper handwashing techniques. I believe the main symptom is severe diarrhea.

Jess

Yes, it said on the write up I found that the main symptom is diarrhea. Of course, it did say it could cause v* too. I wonder if that is maybe caused from being dehydrated from the diarrhea. I thought I read somwhere that v'ing can be caused by a low blood sugar due to dehydration.

Ick... we had that going around a few miles from here for a couple weeks last year, luckily they got it controled in a quick manner andonly a few children were reported to have gotten it.

Asfar asvomiting with it, I think that the main symptom is the severe diarreah and the children who actually vomitdo so because of the severe stomach pain. It's definitely one of the more dangerous of the bacteria but since it's spread through fecal matterjust keepstressing to your children and othersto wash, wash, wash their hands after going to the bathroom and before eating, etc...

Hopefully the schools aredoing their part to take precautions... I know at thedaycare last year we had designated diaper changers and designated feeders for thosecouples of weeks and if you touched a diaper that day you couldn't handle the childrens' food (even with wearing gloves to do so andthehandwashing we always did).

I'm sure all willbefine!
    ~RachelEdited by: kentuckygalrk
    My journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    wink

Giving up doesn\'t always mean that we are weak. Sometimes it just means that we are strong enough to let go.
    Unknown

Hmm I've never heard of Shigella...there's never been an outbreak here and if there was I didn't hear about it, but it sounds like it's just D* and not V*...which is good well not GOOD but better then if it was V*ing too. Just hang in there I'm sure you won't get it and neither will your kids. Just wash your hands and try to stay away from feces...LOL Yeah like THAT'S hard to do! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Rachel, I remember you posting about that outbreak in the daycare where you work. I forgot that it was Shigella.