Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

So I recently got into a new relationship with a wonderful guy. We were friends first, so he knows most everything about me. Although he doesn't know the extent of my fear.

I'm worried because we spend ALOT of time together and everytime he leaves I worry that he'll get sick and I'll get it as well.

My question is, how do you deal with that? Those who are in longterm relationships or are married, ect. You never know when they could be sick...and seeing how I see him so much I'm more than likely to get sick as well.

Ugh.

.I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

i've been with my boyfriend for three years. i've been very lucky in the sense that in the three years that i have known him he has not gotten sick, but i worry about that everyday that he will get sick and i will get it too.soi' not sure how todeal with it. i just try my hardest not to think about it.he is a pretty healthy guyand i just keep telling myself that.

I'm trying to tell myself that too. But whenever I don't hear from him, I get all panicky that he's sick and can't get to a phone/email/whatever.

I don't know how to stop these worries.
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

Hey. I get the same way with my guy, and we have been together for awhile. Wondering every day if he is going to get sick, and bring it on home with him. I feel horrible for watching him so closely, but I think it just comes with being an emet. I try and put it in perspective. We have spent roughly 450-500 days together, and he has only even felt sick once. He didnt v* at all. So I have worried all those 10,800-12,000 hours for one near incident. Hmmm. Those numbers make me feel better. So try and feel better, because it is pretty rare that IT actually happens.

--Kim

I thought that sv* are only contagous after the symptoms have started? If you just stay away from him when he starts v* or d* you should be safe I think. Please let me know if I'm wrong here.

I feel exactly the same. I worry all the time that I will catch it if my bf gets a sv. But he doesn't know about my EMETS and I know he will understand but it hasn't come up yet. I also feel upset when he says to me he will be there for me when ever imill to look after me and hold my hand and he asked if iwoulddo the same and i said i would as long as it isn't an sv. He got upset because hewould be left on his own if he v*ed that makes me feel bad.

I know how you all feel! I have been with my bf for 6 years, and he has only been sick once, and he was living with his parents then, so i was able to make up excuses to not visit him (i still had panic attacks for two days after i found out he v* because i thought i would get sick too). I've never v* since we've been dating, but everyday i think about him getting sick, and i get scared. when i hear him get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, i think, "this is it! he's going to get sick and then get me sick." it's so scary, because if he does get sick some day, and i'm around, he'll see a side of me he has never seen, and i know he won't leave me or anything, but he'll wonder why i'm freaking out. i want to tell him about my emet, but for some reason i'm so afraid to tell him. i've told him a lot about me, about my ocd and my anxiety issues, as well as my dermatillomania (when you compulsively pick at your skin), but for some reason i can't tell him about this.

I worry about my boyfriend getting sick while I am at his house- and the worry is compounded by the fact that he is a nurse, in a hospital 4 days a week and constantly around sick people.

The way I figure it is this-

A) he knows about my emet issue, so if I kinda freak out and can't be around him when he's sick he should know that it's not because I don't love him (although I am working on it- my goal is to be able to take care of him when he's sick)

B) I still have my own apartment. I can always make an escape (call a cab, take a bus, etc.) if I really need to.

C) I am ALWAYS sick- generally about once or twice a month with a cold or flu (or something worse). He is always the one who has taken care of me, and has never caught anything. I figure it must go both ways :P

Good luck!

*Amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.