Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

So here I am again, watching When Harry Met Sally, can't sleep. I felt a little queasy and started thinking about everything I ate today (I overate, I know). I was feeling a little better and was trying to relax, reading some posts here, and I heard my 3 yr old cough and sneeze. So of course that horrible terrified feeling ripped through my chest and I went to check on him. He said he needed a drink so I gave him some water and told him to go back to sleep. Felt his forehead, too, and no fever. 10 minutes later he's still awake so dysfunctional mommy here lets him get up and play withhis brother's game boy to monitor him that he's ok. He says that he was sweaty under his blankets and got thirsty and now he can't sleep. He seems ok, is playing the game boy and smiling at me, but I can't shake this anxious feeling. My palms are sweaty, my heart is pounding, I feel queasy again and that terror feeling, although dulled somewhat, is still present. Plus my husband is snoring down the hall to beat the band and every little sound makes me jump.

Thank goodness for this board--it's the only thing keeping me still andtrying to relax. I used to get up and pace or sit on the edge of my seat biting my lip.
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

Hey there...I am up rather late myself, only b/c my son is with his dad tonight, and can't sleep, b/c routine is gone out the window.

I hope all is well, I'm sure he's fine. If I worried everytime I woke up sweaty, boy, I'de be a mess...lol. Stay calm, and let yourself relax. Everything will look better in the morning!

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

Hey there! I hate them middle of the night freak-outs! I am so sorry you are having one! Hang in there, okay? You have your movie, and hopefully that'll help you relax! I hope everything will be alright with your son! Like Crystal said, he is probably just fine. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Take care, and hope you feel better in the morning! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

From one regular night-freak out person to the next, the sun will come up! Like I said, hang in there!
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Middle of the night freakouts! Oh, how I hate them! You're not alone, mommyof3 ^_^ Definitely sounds like a big helping of anxiety to me. I know it can be kinda hard to think things out logically when you're tired and its the middle of the night, but you just need to keep reminding yourself that everything is allright, and what you're experiencing is only nerves. It will pass, don't worry - usually you'll find when you start yawning, the worrying will ease off and you'll be ready to go back to sleep again. It sounds like your son is fine, too, if he was ill, he probably wouldn't wanna play his gameboy...getting too hot under your covers is a horrible feeling.

What I tell myself, when I wake up in the night, is that it really isn't any different from the day. I try to look at night time as just some quiet time to myself - whether I sleep or not, it doesn't matter, as long as I'm just taking it easy and resting. I tell myself to save my worries for the morning, and hey presto, by the time I wake up in the morning, I'm not worried anymore, anyway ^_^

You'll be ok! Just keep watching the movie, and if it finished and you're still worrying, watch another til you're tired!Edited by: angel13

Paula I had one of those nights last week with Tyler. I get into bedaround midnight I hear him gasping for air, scared the s* out of me, I ran out of my room and there he is swallowing and gulping and I am asking him what is wrong? He cant answer me because now is he coughing and I am becoming anxious. He goes into the bathroom, comes out and says I feel better. I am standing there like a dummy going um what?? First question um do you need the pail? Maybe he said and goes back to sleep! I put the pail beside his bed, I go into the living room thinking what the hec? So of course I go back to bed, not sleeping waiting for him to wake up and feel sick. He didn't he got a good night sleep, not me!
    What he had was a nightmare, he breathed in so deep he woke himself up and lost his breath.
    I hear you, Ty will be 13 next month and I am still freaking out!
    Gotta love those kids. Keeps us on our toes!!

oh man all of you have kids.. I can't even take care of myself at night with
    those freakouts. I just make myself sneeze on purpose and go take a hot
    shower and lay undedr the showerhead for a bit.. When im overly cold it
    takes the anxiety away and same with the self-induced sneezing.
    Man I sometimes thank god thaT i LIVE ON THE FIRST FLOOR ALL I NEED TO
    DO IS open the balcony door and get out for a jog and gasp for some fresh
    air. Then they ususally go away. But I understand that as mothers you feel
    more scared and anxious for the health and well-being of your kids and I am
    the same way. But I can't imagine myself with stresses like that. Cause kids
    usually puke soo often! AGHH

mommy, how are things today? is he o.k.? I am sure he is. I go through that with my son too and when i hear him shifting in the bed, i get scared. why do freak out so much?

i hate that you had such a rotten night. hope all is well.
    TRY to live each day like it were your last

Hey guys thanks for responding. I am much better today. Had to help out in my 7 year old's class today and I am soooo tired! Yes, the 3 yr old was fine, he does this once in a while. It's so good to know I am not the only one who does this in the night. I feel so alone when that happens. It's nice to come here . Group hug!!!
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

I shouldn't be so nosy, so forgive me and feel free to overlook my questions.

Your way of calming your panic is sointeresting sounding. You said that you take a hot shower, but being cold calms the anxiety? I guess that I would have thought that a hot shower would make you hot, not cold. Or am I just not thinking straight?

Also how did you realize that sneezing would help to calm you down?

Quote Originally Posted by hanarky
    oh man all of you have kids.. I can't even take care of myself at night with
    those freakouts. I just make myself sneeze on purpose and go take a hot
    shower and lay undedr the showerhead for a bit.. When im overly cold it
    takes the anxiety away and same with the self-induced sneezing.
    Man I sometimes thank god thaT i LIVE ON THE FIRST FLOOR ALL I NEED TO
    DO IS open the balcony door and get out for a jog and gasp for some fresh
    air. Then they ususally go away. But I understand that as mothers you feel
    more scared and anxious for the health and well-being of your kids and I am
    the same way. But I can't imagine myself with stresses like that. Cause kids
    usually puke soo often! AGHH

<!--
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//-->
    Sneezing helps me calm down, but I haven't worked out how to make myself sneeze!

For me, it's a reflex that releases all your muscles, so it
    automatically stops you from tensing your body when you're
    mid-panic. Also, in some weird part of my brain, I think, if I'm
    going to v*, surely something as powerful as a sneeze (that tenses and
    releases your stomach muscles) is going to encourage v* or make you
    feel more nauseous. But it doesn't... so that's how it reassures
    me. I go "Oh, I'm not sick, I've just sneezed and I don't feel
    worse".

&lt;--- bizarre

That's really interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by raindrop
    <!--
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//-->Sneezing helps me calm down, but I haven't worked out how to make myself sneeze!

For me, it's a reflex that releases all your muscles, so it automatically stops you from tensing your body when you're mid-panic. Also, in some weird part of my brain, I think, if I'm going to v*, surely something as powerful as a sneeze (that tenses and releases your stomach muscles) is going to encourage v* or make you feel more nauseous. But it doesn't... so that's how it reassures me. I go "Oh, I'm not sick, I've just sneezed and I don't feel worse".

&lt;--- bizarre

I sneeze too.. And it does help me feel better. I actually use pepper. and it makes me sneeze at least 5 times. It takes away the nausea. Go figure. I am so happy to hear I am not alone.

--Kim

Maybe more people should try it.

Quote Originally Posted by tink
    I sneeze too.. And it does help me feel better. I actually use pepper. and it makes me sneeze at least 5 times. It takes away the nausea. Go figure. I am so happy to hear I am not alone.

--Kim