Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

hey

im not anxious about the actual dentist visits or whatever, i never have been one to worry about the dentist, but i went for a check up and i have to go back soon to get a filling and im just a bit anxious about wether or not the stuff they inject into your gums to numb it will make me throw up or not, - i dont even really know why im anxious because i had it again years ago bt then again since it was years ago my body could have become un-used to it and therefore it might happen- meh im just ranting. or has anyone ever been worried about not being able to swallow for a long period of time when theyre at the dentist?
    .: tonight i\'m letting go :.

HI,

THE STUFF THEY NUMB YOU WITH WONT MAKE YOU ILL AT ALL. IT DOESNT TASTE
    NICE BUT THEY LET YOU RINSE YOUR MOUTH OUT. I HAVE HAD THREE
    TEETH OUT AND I HAVE NEVER V* ONCE.

THE SWALLOWING THING LOL... THATS ME!!

IF I WANT TO SWALLOW I HAVE MADE AN ARRANGMENT WITH DENTIST TO PUT MY
    HAND UP AND THEY STOP. ITS THE SUCKER THING THAT WORRIES ME.

Yea...that numbing stuff wont make you sick at all. I am absolutely terrified of the dentist! I have not been there in a VERY long time! Im too scared to go! I had a really bad expirience the last time I went. And my teeth are getting bad...but im just too terrified!
    *Mandi*

Hey, recently I had to have fillings for the first time and I was terrified beyond belief, I actually held my breath so long I got dizzy because I was so scared but you will not be sick. When they inject you it might go a lil in the back of your throat. This won't make you gag but it doesn't taste altogether pleasant. Just warnign you because no one told me that and I freaked when i tasted it LOL but it was fine. Then they leave you 10 mins while it takes effect and then they get to work. Tell your dentist you are nervous and you wanna know step by step what he is doing. That helps. Altogther I'd say it only takes 20 mins.

The swallowing thing gets me so make sure he knows if you raise your hand he is to stop. My dentist was fabulous about that, If I so much as twitched my hand he and the asisstant pulled back straight away til I was ok. That control was fab. But overall it seems worse right now than it will be. It will be over so fast you'll be suprised i think hehe.

Good luck babe and remember you won't V* and you are in control

xxxxxxx
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

You most defintely won't get sick from the novicaine. I've had so many things done with my mouth an novicaine and have never felt sick at all. It does tatse bad, but like scribble said they rinse out your mouth.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Just about every tooth in my head has a filling. I've paid for my dentist's second home lol. I've never v* from the dentist. See if they'll let you hold that little sucky thing. Then you can vacuum out the gross stuff yourself.
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

Me too, Paula - I even have all my front teeth filled! I've also had quite a few extractions over the years and I've never felt in the slightest nauseous from any of the treatments (apart from when I had gas for extractions in the seventies when I was little - Bleurgh!)

The swallowing thing is the biggest pain especially when they give you a scale and polish so you have all that extra water in your mouth - think I'd rather have a filling!

The injections for fillings absolutely won't make you feel ill, so try not to worry, jezebel.

Tracey
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

ah thank you all for the replies, im feeling very at ease about it now

Hi

I have had all my fillings done without the injection because I'm soooo scared it will make me V*. It doesn't hurt too much either - mind over matter I spose, but after reading this I may try the injection next time.....

I'm studying to be a dentist and I am an emetophobe.. how great is that? [img]smileys/smilies_25.gif[/img]

Warning:

Novacaine (local anethesia) won't bother you but a type
    of general anesthesia might. Nitrous Oxide (Laughing gas) reportedly
    causes many patients to V when they wake up. An alternative to this is
    an IV injection which is what I had when my widom teeth were removed
    and didn't V from it.

While we're talking about dentists, once when I was much younger I Was
    at the dentist and used a mint flavored fluoride on my teeth. Then V
    one time from that right there in the chair! It also happened to
    someone else I know who had the mint flavor.

I would suggest you openly flat out ask the hygenist or dentist if
    anything they are doing could cause you to V. Tell them you are
    "sensitive" and believe me, they don't want you to V there
    anymore than they do, LOL!

</font></font>

Thanks for the tip liriodendron! Mint flavored fluoride is now officially banned from my clinic!

well i went to the dentist today and had one filling done, have to go back next week for the other one- no problem at all!! i actually kinda liked it it was funny when my mouth was all numb. so yea next week will be no problem, thanks for all replies etc.