Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hello everyone. I'm new here and have had this phobia my whole life. I do all of the same things everyone else here does and fear all of the same things. I am married and i have a daughter who is almost three. Anyway on to my question. Has anyone told their boss about their phobia? I was just wondering because i went to school to be a medical assistant but i didnt get a job for the obvious reasons. I am now planning on going to school for phlebotomy so i can still be in the medical field but maybe have less of a chance of seeing someone v*. I was just wondering if it is something i should tell a future boss or if they will think i am insane.

So...did you tell them and how did they react if you did?

knocking this back to the top because no one answered ???

I've never told any of my bosses about my emet. When one of my clients was v'ing in the holding room, I just told people I couldn't handle v*, so I would probably just leave if anything happened. I have, however, told my current boss that I have an anxiety disorder. I had to tell her, b/c I lost 15 pounds, looked like crap and was shaking all the time. She was very understanding, and asked if she could do anything to help. She also was understanding about multiple doctor's appts. I generally don't tell people I work with unless I have to.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

I have told my boss and the one before her. They are both super nice about it! I am a teacher and she will specifically make sure I stay out of the office if a kid is sick. I am always an advocate for telling everyone!!

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

I told my boss I get panic attacks and he kept asking why I debated long and hard whether to tell him and decided no. Turns out it was absolutely the right choice as he told 3 of my collegues I have an anxiety disorder after telling me he'd say nothing. However he was a general F*ckwit.

What I suggest is if it is appropriate mention you have an anxiety disorder and see how they are with that, if you feel comfortable tell them all of it. Be open about it like I am with my friends and people will usually understand, i told half the people in my office anyway.

xxxxxx
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I don't see anything wrong with telling a boss about it. I would kinda feel them out first to see if they have the gentle personality of someone who could understand, cuz some people you can just tell by being around them, the kind of mindset they have. I would hate to tell some one who i feel would be the type who would laugh about it or ridicule you. At my present job now, my boss doesn't know, but my close co-workers do, and pretty much understand to the best of their ability.

I'd say to use your own good judgement. :-)
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7