Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi my name is Ashley and I've been married for 3 years.

My husband first learned about my fear when we were in the backseat of a friend's car and he got s*. I was in the middle between3 people (he was on my right and two girlswere on my left) and I jumped over the two girls on my left and tried to claw my way out of the window. When the car finally stopped, I ran out of the car and was almost a block away when the two girls caught up with me to make sure I was OK. My poor husband thought I was going to break up with him because he v*.

Despite my fear (I can laugh at myself after a freak-out happens, but "in the moment" it is overwhelming) he married me anyway and hasn't v* since. He is very open about telling me how he is feeling. He even goes to sleep on the couch if my tummy hurts. He doesn't make me feel stupid, and he helps me laugh at myself and how silly I am sometimes. I think it is healthy to see the humor in all situations. At least that's one way I'm coping with my fears.

We are not planning on having children. I really appreciate his acceptance and "coolness" of my fear. He has fears as well and I support him in those. I think it is important to be honest in your relationship so that in awkward moments there is understanding.

Funny Moment: When I found out my x-boyfriend had projectile v*, I broke up with him. He was a jerk anyway, but that was the final straw. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

My bfof 4 years is pretty good about it. I told him soon after we started dating. He's been sick twice since we moved in together, both alcohol related. During each incident, he turned on the shower and bathroom fan so that I wouldn't hear, although with my emet radar, I knew what was happening anyway. He tries to push me gently to get out and do stuff, but also doesn't get upset if I want to go home or can't handle it. He also was there for me the day I drank ipecac in order to get over this fear (DO NOT ever attempt it....it just makes things worse). He was amazingly supportive that day.

The only time he's gotten really upset is the time I freaked out and went to a hotel b/c I thought he vomited when he didn't (hilarious now, but not so much at the time). I think, though, that the hotel incident made him realize that I need to focus my time and money on getting treatment, because this fear is destroying my life. So we're going to put off buying a house for a while (we're currently saving up), and spend my portion of the savings on therapy. If my quality of life sucks, what good is a house, right?

Anyway, welcome to the site.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne