Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hello! I am new to this forum, and thanks to Dr. Phil, I feel somewhatrelieved! It is nice to know we are not alone in what I consider total panic. Well, I have one for you - My son's second day of preschool is today. Well, I walked in this morning, and this little girl v**** right there in the hallway. My first instinct, of course, was to turn around and take my son home. I somehow made it to his classroom. Now, I am at home worrying about him coming into contact with that today. I have prayed about it, and now I am asking for suggestions from you all. By the way, you are talking to someone who carries Germ-X everywhere. Ipracticallycover my children with it, and I also Lysol shopping carts. Wow - that is hard to admit! Can anyone else relate to that? Why do we feel so panicky about it? This is my first post. Thanks in advance to those who respond. Also, how do we manage this craziness and not make our kids this way? My mom is not this way - why am I?

Welcome to the site. This site has been one of the strongest forms of therapy for me, I was also shocked to find out that what I had been suffering from most of my life was actually common. The little girl who v* may have had just a bad case of "butterfly's" being that it was thesecond day of school. I'm sure there isn't anything to worry about. You didn't make a big deal about it in front of your child, which was a good thing, I think you handled it great!! I give you 2 thumbs up. Keep us posted on how you are doing. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

I have three kids and yep, I purell and lysol, too. I've gotten over the bringing the lysol to the store--now we just have a rule that as soon as we get home from anywhere we wash our hands. Which I really think is just common sense.

Is this your first child going to school? When my first went to preschool I admit it was hard. I asked him every day if he washed his hands before snack time, if anyone was out sick, etc., etc. He was kind of starting to get obsessed, too, so I've stopped that. He doesn't have the phobia (thank God) but he does have some quirky things like not wanting to go somewhere he's v* before (says he'll never go to Yellowstone National Park again). But the fear of it doesn't give him day-to-day problems like so many of us. My other two have absolutely no problems with v*. I've really worked hard on hiding it from them.

It gets easier as your kids get older and you almost have involuntary exposure therapy. LOL. The way I deal now is that I've accepted that v* isa part of life and try to only wig out in private. And lysol the house when someone is sick, wash my hands a lot, etc. etc.

I'm kind of new here, too, but welcome! I was so relieved to find this site and find other normal people with this weird little problem.

Thanks so much for the replys!

I have two kids, 3 and 1, (almost 4 and 2), and this is my son's second year of preschool. I was hoping to be better about things this year, but I guess today was my test! I am due to pick him up in an hour, and I must admit that I can't wait to get him out of there! He absolutely LOVES school, which I am grateful for.

I do everything you talked about, with questioning my child about his hygiene constantly and degerming everything, butI know that kidsare just going to get sick. I know I will survive, but I just want to be normal about the v***ing. I want to be able to comfort them instead of running the other direction. Luckily, my husband has no problem with it. We have been very lucky so far (knock on wood) - We had a LOT of colds last year with him starting to school, but only a couple of tummy bugs. HOPEFULLY, this will be a good flu season all the way around with very limited sickness for us all!!!

Incidentally, how did you handle your pregnancies? I notice you have three children. I NEVER v***ed with either pregnancy, but I was on Phenergan with my daughter. I almost lost it with her numerous times. This phobia does factor in to my having a third child, all with being pregnant to having another child I have to worry about getting sick - That really sounds terrible, doesn't it????!!!!!

Thanks again - It is nice to know there are understanding and not critical folks out here!

Hi, I am new here and also saw Dr. Phil's show today. I don't normally
    watch but happened upon it this afternoon. I always thought I was weird
    because of my v* fear. My family makes fun of me because of it. I am
    pretty ok with my own, I have been on Chemotherapy for 2 years (ironic)
    so I needed to adjust there. I cannot, however, handle other people
    v*ing. I run the other way. I won't go to many movies because it is
    included in so many nowadays. If I know it is in a movie I panic and
    make excuses to leave the room until the scene is over. Even on TV now
    it seems so mainstream. I turned CSI on one night just as a guy v*ed
    and that was the end of that show. I wish I could get over it, but I am
    almost sure that is impossible. My husband and I don't have children
    and I thank God for that. Anyway, thanks for the site and knowing that
    there are others out there.