Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

At this point, Sage is the one who gives me hope that I can beat this thing. But I would love to see stories from other cured emets, about how they got cured, and the therapy process involved. I think this would give more emets hope, and more insight into possible treatment ideas/exposure ideas. Is there any way we can get cured emets to post their stories?
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

Pretty tough. I have only read therapist's reports and research papers. The thing is, even the word "cured" is up for grabs. I like to refer to it as "successfully treated". It's not as ifan anxiety disorder is like a bacteria thata pill lsuch aspenicillin will just kill it off forever. Anxiety disorders are screwed-up neuropathways in your brain. New synaptic connections are formed during treatment, so that the stimulus (feeling sick, or seeing someone sick) does not lead to an overwhelming panic response [initially, the info travels down the old pathway, i.e., you're "startled". Then your brain goes "oh ya, right...I'm cured...no need to panic...I'm safe]. However, if the anxiety level or stress level in your life goes up significantly, and you've not continued to reinforce the NEW pathways, then you risk falling into the same old anxiety pattern.

I have dedicated myself to a lifetime of therapy, continually growing as a person and working on any and all issues in my childhood, or whatever comes up for me now at work or in relationships. This costs me $140/week. I don't care. I love the freedom and joy and peace it gives me.

But honestly, there aren't going to be a whole lot of people out there like me.For one thing, it's not just the money. Every Friday morning I go to my therapist and come out of there feeling like a knife is stuck in me. Personal growth is painful and difficult. YOu have to be willing to tolerate a lot ofsad or scary feelings. I stick around here because I want everyone to know it's possible - and never to give up trying. If I can do it, so can anyone else who sets their mind to it.

There ARE people who come here occasionally (there's one post today) who feel a whole hellavalot better...after some therapy, or on some meds. Soluene (who posts occasionally) is doing really really well, and continues to work on it.

Others claim they're "better", but really they're just not getting stimulated too much and the stress in their lives is calmed down. When it goes up, or they can't avoid the stimulus anymore they get worse again.

But you're right. I wish more people who've had success in treatment would come back and post their stories. It would help a lot. Meanwhile...I'm the best you've got! LOL.[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]Edited by: sage
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well, it's pretty late right now, but I have been thinking about posting about myself and what happened with me and emetophobia. I am in long term therapy, and like sage, it costs me money every month (my therapist gave me a bit of a discount as I am a graduate student), and it is very emotionally draining. For example, one night a couple years back when we were confronting a very difficult issue, I left the therapist's office, went home, and when I went to bed, Ilay in bed, and cried from midnight to 4 a.m. off and on. I couldn't go to work the next day. The only problem with my story and emet is that I didn't go through exposure therapy, so I don't know whether anyone would care to hear about it.

Lets hear it japa?
    I think if there is help out there where some one can afford the treatments than most of us would be on the mend. When a person get 740.00 to live off for a month, that help becomes non existence

Yeah, I couldn't even pay my rent, electricity, and phone on $740.00 a month. I have to take out student loans right now or else I wouldn't even be able to pay my therapist the small amount that she agreed I could pay her. Luckily, she didn't put $ first, or I wouldn't beable to talk to her.

Quote Originally Posted by ontariogirl
    Lets hear it japa?
    I think if there is help out there where some one can afford the treatments than most of us would be on the mend. When a person get 740.00 to live off for a month, that help becomes non existence
    Edited by: japa

I don't think I am cured, but as someone who couldn't leave her house or even eat before, I now travel by myself a lot, I eat what I like I do what I want, I basically don't let emet stop me from doing things. I'm not saying I'd be happy to be sick and if my life is stressful then I do get some panic attacks. But I can live the life I want to without emet stopping me. So what if I hate throwing up? So what if I get anxious sometimes, thats normal. So yeah I dunno if I'm cured because I do fear throwing up.....but I'm not agoraphobic/anorexic anymore. I dont think about V* all the time, I dont wash my hands a lot or not eat out, I don#'t scope people around me tosee if they may V*.

Oh And I've not had any therapy. My life is pretty stressful lately and so my anxiety has been harder, but I've dealt with it and carried on with life, which is something I'd never have done before. Ideally I'd like to not fear V* at all, and sometimes wonder if I should go to a therapist to help with that. But for now I have no money and I can't. I'm happy with how I am right now, I don't feel trapped anymore.Edited by: hippychick
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Abridged version of what helped me with emet: Therapy in which I talk about the abuse I experienced during my childhood and the self hatred I experienced as an adult, along with Paxil, has decreased my anxiety and depression to the degree that emet has faded for me, since it is an anxiety disorder as well. Emet does not affect my daily life that I am aware of, except that I read and post here. I have doubted that this will inspire anyone because my best description that I can offer is that emet just receded or faded into almost nothing as my overall anxiety and depression level was decreased. Oh well, that's my short version for what it's worth.

Thanks Japa, and Hippychick. These stories really do help others have hope!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.