Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Eatin’ out...

This question has probably been asked a million times on here, but do you guys tend to sometimes not enjoy yourselves when you eat out with friends, because you're so worried about you-know-what? I realised I get like that. I just got back from a friend's birthday at a pub in the next town, and we all had meals. I just had plain ole fish and chips, but didn't get anything from the salad/vegetable bar, just because it was one of those 'serve yourself' deals...normally I'm ok with them, but tonight I was just in one of those emet-ish moods where I fear the worst. I even worried about the tongs which I touched to pick a bread roll up with. Couldn't fully enjoy myself, because the thought of catching something was at the back of my mind the whole time...its something psychological, that if I wprry about it, and am conscious of it, it won't happen. But if I forget...thats when I will catch something, because I'll be off my guard.

If that makes any sense! >_< So its a no win situation, really!

Its quite frustrating, being so sensitive to everything! I've had enough! lol.

Other people feel the same? Experiences where you've eaten out with friends, but not had such a great time because you were so anxious? Do tell.

Oh my gawd yes! I've had whole meals ruined because of my emet. The worst cases have been when I've got so worked up about eating out I panic throughout the whole meal thinking that at any moment I might have to run off through sheer terror and the feelings of nausea that accompany it! Then you worry about if people will think you are strange cos you are struggling to eat. I've made up stories before about having an upset stomach, so I can avoid eating a proper meal and just order a small starter!

I'm not so bad these days about eating out but if people invite us out for a meal who I don't know very well I do tend to get worried, thinking about the what ifs - eg. what if I panic, feel nauseous and can't eat - what will people think of me.

My biggest problem revolves around the fact that when I panic and get anxious my stomach churns and I feel sick (and have v*ed through nerves before)- not a good symptom for an emetophobe!

So you see, you are not alone!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

I hear you. If I am going to eat it out it won't be a salad bar, to me that turns me off all those germs. I don't travel far at all with friends I don;t want to look like an idiot if something should happen. I would love to go out and have fun but I can't.

I hate eating out because of the enormous anxiety it causes. I'm anxious throughout the whole meal, and for the rest of the day. Its ruined my social life as all my friends would go out to eat and I'd make excuses. If I had to eat out, I'd eat at home first so that I have an excuse to be eating tiny protions, where I have to force myself to chew and swallow! [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

xxx
    ~I don\'t know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone~

msn:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I hate going out to eat, because I worry the whole time about food poisoning, if the lights are dim, I cannot see if the chicken is fully cooked, if I think it looks pink, forget it, it is all over, I rarely order chicken. Then I wonder was the food left out too long, so that bacteria may have had the chance to grow? I do this when I eat at friends houses also. Even if it is pizza, I cannot eat it if it was left out for more than a few minutes.