Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I will be starting exposure tharapy soon. I've looked at all the pictures on the links in this forum but haven't yet listened to the sounds. I will be going into a hospital A & E department with my therapist and to be honest, I don't know how I'llreact. I'm scared (of course) but I know I can leave anytime. If someone in there v*s, do you think it would be best to just stay there no matter how desperate I will probably be to run away? Should I just turn away? (stupid questions?!) could I catch something if someone v*s near me?

I really want to rid this phobia. Although I fear others v*ing, I fear myself soooo much more. I understand, very well,the principles behind how the fear of others v* can be banished- desensitisation, graded exposure...and I'mpretty confidentthat one day, hopefullyI will be ok about it. But I cannot see how I will ever overcome the fear of MYSELF v*ing. My therapist mentioned me simulating v* to help me. That just completely FREAKS me out, big time!!! how else can you overcome the fear of yourself v*??? or is this the only way? any suggestions please!!!!!!

xxx
    ~I don\'t know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone~

msn:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hey you, i asked my CPN that same question.. about how watching peopole vomiting is goign to help my fear of MYSELF vomiting.

he believes that once u see other people do it, and see tht they're ok, and that they are not ridiculed e.t.c it will ease the anxiety of urself doing it...

[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

you don't hav to induce vomiting to get over this fear thats for sure.

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's weird because I've gotten better about other people V*ing. I used to live with a girl who was bulemic. I heard her in the bathroom ALL The time and for some reason it didn't freak me out like it used to. Also V*ing on TV and in Movies used to freak me out too but for some reason I'm over that. I think that going to a hospital to get over your fear of V*ing YOURSELF isn't going to help. I think the only thing that really helps that is actually doing it...I'm not telling you to INDUCE V*ing...I'm totally against that when it comes to getting over your Emet...but I think that if sometime in the near future or far away from now the only way to get over it is doing it yourself...as for me I know I won't do it any time soon. LoL...this post didn't help very much did it?

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Hey Crazy,

Have you read the documents I wrote, i.e., INFO TO GIVE YOUR DR. OR FAMILY? It talks in there about how to do exposure.

Once you're calm about others vomiting, you can use imaginal desensitization while watching someone else (even on video) to imagine it's you. This will help desensitize your fear. Also, what your therapist said about seeing that others are ok, normal, not ridiculed etc. is very powerful, and will help you.

It is not necessary for you to vomit, and even the suggestion of that can be traumatizing. Remember that you are in the driver's seat in therapy. don't agree to anyting you don't want to do, or you think won't help you.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Hey everyone, thanks for your replies. I think that if I see others do the deed, hopefully I will be able to move onto working on the fear of myself v*. There is NO WAY whatsoever will I ever do anything to induce it. Thats just crazy! Anyway, exposure starts next week so I'll see how it goes. Just don't know if going to theA&E dept is the lowest step in the hierarchyfor me. I don't know. Maybe if something does happen, I'll panic and that'll be it? What do you think would be a lower step- videos or real?

Thanks

x
    ~I don\'t know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone~

msn:

AGAIN, go to the top of this section and read the INFO TO GIVE YOUR DR. OR FAMILY. It has a proven, effective hierarchy listed in it. Your therapist's suggestion, I believe, will re-traumatize you.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.