Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Fluoxetine

Today at the doctors i was given some anti depressants. They are called Fluoxetine do you know if they are safe? I'm so scared about the sidea affects, I dont think that will be an from taking it apart from anxiety caused by me casue I think that they will make me v*. The only thing i'm scared about is that if I dont like them or get side affects and dont take anymore I will get the following symptoms - dizziness, tingling, headache, anxiety and nausea may occur on stopping treatment and will go in 3 days. Thats 3 days of feeling ill!!!! Urgh I'm scared to take them now but yeh has anyone taken these or just has info about anti depressants in general?

Izzy..I havent been on any meds..so I cant really help there..

But I do wanna say this..you have to think about the positive possibilities here..and not the bad ones..i know thats scarey as hell and hard to do..but just think..these pills could work wonders and make you feel like a new person.

Also keep in mind that they may make you feel funny at first..but once your body adjusts you should be ok...

best of luck!!!
    And now I\'m glad I didn\'t know
    The way it all would end the way it all would go
    Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
    But I\'d of had to miss the dance
    Garth Brooks

I've had those before and I didn't suffer any side
    effects at all. They helped me out of a very rough time. I
    hope they help you</font>[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    Rachel
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Laughing is good exercise, it\'s like jogging on the inside!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ASK YOUR PHARMACIST!!!! They can tell you all about the side effects and the likely ood that you will even get them. Don't read the print outs you get with the meds it doesn't give you an accurate percentile.

Besides the long term effect is what you are going to desire. Think about how it will help you. I filled a lot of prescriptions for fluoxetine and I never once heard anyone complain about any kind of side effects. I think some people the first few days had some dry mouth anda little "out of it" feeling like when you don't get enough sleep and can't concentrate.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

I personally would say that you don't need pills.

After my Dad passed away, I went into a short depression. I was given councelling by the doctors and liquid anti-depressants (as I had a real problem with swollowing tablets then). The gloopy orange liquid put me off straight away and the thought that I might never get off them once I had started scared me the most.

You can be strong if you belive in yourself. You only need 1 person to belive in you to exist, that one person is you - the more people that love you the stronger you are. Take that strength and channel it into beating your problems. Don't let anything animal, vegetable, mineral or spiritual stop you.

My best friend was on anti-depressants, quite a high doseage, and the never once made her v*. One of my other really good friends is also on them. She is emetophobic as well, and she takes them (reluctantly!), but she has NEVER been ill with them either. She also came off them for a while, and changed to another type, and she wasn't ill then either. I'm sure you'll be fine. *Hugs*

xoxox

I'm going to take them not this saturday, the saturday after so I have 2 days where I can be at home and not worry about side affects when i'm out etc. I hate taking meds but as you all said, it will probably be worth it in the end. I've ahd an awful day today, I had a big argument about my depression with my mum earlier which got me down. But anyway things are better ish although we still arnt talking as much as normal. Oh well
    Lets wait till next saturday to see what happens!!!!

Thanx for replying - rachel81, How long did u take these for? Did you have any affects when you were on them for the first few days and the last few days???

Thanx again

Hey there! Fluoxetine is the same thing as Prozac.... I've been taking them off and on for years (don't do that without your doctor's permission and supervision) and they have helped me immensely. I personally haven't experienced any side effects except for those probably caused by my own anxiety of taking them. And even that wasn't *too* bad in retrospect. Just panic attacks.. And I've gone off of them many times and haven't experienced any "withdrawal" effects either. I found this medication to be extremely helpful for me... it truly saved me last year. Don't worry.... If you have any questions, let me know...

Lisa

Izzy - None at all, I also had beta blockers at the same time! I
    think they are only 20mg so it takes a little while for them to get
    into your system. Don't worry I am sure you will be fine on
    them[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] email me if you want any more info.
    Rachel

Laughing is good exercise, it\'s like jogging on the inside!!!

y be flooding your emails! lol. I'm not going to start till next weekend so i'l be at home for 2 days in a row. (have to work tmorrow and would be scared!)

THANX for all your support everyone!!!

Izzy,

Good luck with this treatment program. I'm sure you'll be fine - emets don't vomit from medications, so even if you read something or your pharmacist says something like "it may cause nausea or vomiting" - still don't worry. YOU won't vomit. But you already know this - as you said, if you feel anything, it will be anxiety. Expect this, and welcome it like saying "oh - here it is - it's just anxiety." You'll be fine.

Ebony, and others:

Please don't advise people on this site NOT to follow their doctor's orders. I know medication isn't for everyone (I personally have never taken it), but that doesn't mean some people don't need it - they do. Some people who need meds and don't take them come into great harm, sometimes spiralling down into suicide. It's very dangerous to give people advice on medicationAGAINST the decision they have made with their doctor. It's bad enough that folks on this and other forums give medical advice, and that people seek it. Everyone should remember that this is the INTERNET. We don't really know one another and even if someone claimed to be an expert (doctor, psychologist, pharmacist) they could be a 12-year-old boy jerking you around. How would you know?

I know your intention was very good, Ebony...and your words were both inspirational andcompassionate. Thank you.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.