Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I am slowly starting to understand what my emet is all about. In many ways I am a control freak. I was never the type ofemet to constantly wash my hands or check food for expiration dates, but there are other things I am finally realizing that I have always felt I had control over. When I was young, I was never afraid of v* unless someone else was doing it. Why? Because I believed I could not get sick unless I was exposed. I was in control until someone around me was ill. I was always able to hold it in when I had to pee. I never liked to used public bathrooms. Again, I had control over when I wanted to use the bathroom. I used to be able to eat whatever foods I liked, mostly dairy. So then I developed lactose intolerance. That was when my emet started to get worse. Because I no longer could eat what I wanted. I didn't have "control" over my diet. Now, I am having more stomach problems, some of which occured when I was out of the house. I have no idea what is causing them, so my phobia is in full command, because I feel I have no control over when I will get sick. It doesn't matter what I eat, or where I am, I could v* at any time, I might have to go to the bathroom at anytime, and I have no say in the matter. So yes, this phobia definitely has something to do with not feeling in "control", for me, anyway. Smiles to you if you took time to read this entire post. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    It\'s all right to have butterflies in your stomach. Just get them to fly in formation.

Emet is mainly about control I think. And I think thats why some of us get emet. cause we need to be in control, not like of others but things in our mind. I'm glad you're thinking about ur emet and things. For here now that you think you know more about ur emet you can start to be in control again. I'm currently trying my own type of therapy (created by me in a very boring maths class) when you think about v* think to yoursefl, do I need to anic? am I really going to v* If the anw=swer is no then you can just try and forget about it. If you tell yourself that you really arnt going to v* Its alot easier to have control over your thaughts again.

I agree emet is totally about control, look at that one post about what we hate about v*ing... everyone put no control first on their list! You don't have any control over your body because of a virus, or because of a food, or because of whatever. You lose control and there's nothing worse than that to me. This is why I don't like to fly (among the ton of germs in there with you...) and why I don't like riding with other people, why I don't like to eat out, etc. It's all control over your situation!
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I totally agree. I just wonder why we don't feel like that in some of our other situations. Like... I don't know... for example, i let my parents cook my food, and i trust them because i knnow theyd never feed me anything that could make me ill that theyve cooked, so i dont feel the need to worry about controlling what they give me. does that make sense??