Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

[img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img] Okay gang............ This is very scary to me, reading about all the exposure therapy goin on here ! (laugh). What is this website "Rate my vomit" ? YIKES ! [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img] . I am so clamy just thinking about seeing V****. !!!!! Do you really think it helps to actually "See it " ?

URGH! Let me know your thoughts on this PLEASE !!! [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]

Thanks guys
    Kristen

OH don't go to ratemyvomit.com... no no no.. not till you can successfully look at all of the pictures on the exposure therapy link! on that link you can control what you see first and it's gradual... i think it was sage that said that we can't just go stare at it or jump to the last picture or it can traumatize you even worse... so what you have to do it look at the first pictures until you don't feel any panic or anything... and then move on to the next. ratemyvomit if for those brave and strong ones who *CAN* look at all of the pictures on the exposure link without any panic!!!*yeah for them!!!!* i personally get freaked out everytime i look at that stupid egg one.. and for some reason the pumpkin one is worse... but usually you can get past those.... if you choose to try it good luck! let us know how it goes!

http://www.achternamen.net/emetofobie/supportgroup/

The most miserable people I know are those who are
    obsessed with themselves; the happiest people I know are those who lose
    themselves in the service of others. -Pres. Gordan B. Hinkley

[img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img] Thanks ! I just don't know if I could really handle seeing any sort of "PUKE" ! Like I said, even the thought makes me want to freak out ! I will look into that site you posted. Thank you for that ! I will let you know how it goes ! I definately wont be looking at it now, I just finished eating lunch ! BLACH ! LOL
    [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Thank you again,
    Kristen

Hey Everyone,

It's my first day being a member of this site. I am 13 years old, and I have had emet since I can remember. It is very nice having a place where I can talk to people who actually understand where I am coming from.

Anyways, I checked out that therapy site (link in previous reply) and I could do category 0 and category 1. It really turned my stomach, and I couldn't bear to look at any more![img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]Did anyone else feel like this when they saw it? What do you guys think of this exposure therapy, anyways?

Heh, charming site.

n still no real affect. Its not therapy if its not scaring me right?

I want one with videos. Ne1 know any?

Go to the treatments thread for clear instructions and explanations about this stuff!

And you're right - just seeing it, or looking at pictures is not "therapy". YOu have follow the instructions, and preferably with the help of a therapist.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I read it a while ago, n did your exposure site, its still not havin ne effect...
    The first time I entered one of those sites I was scared, but soon as I can see the pics no effect, no anxiety- just normal non emet- 'ew thats gross.. or wow! its pink.. or is that even possible?!..' lol

.. I need somethin more real than still images, the tension n the bit before bothers me more than the actual throwing up... ya know ne vid sites sage?

Moved this topic, along with the others....

Eternity: go to the films list (either here or on the old site) and look at the descriptions of films that people are warning about. You can make a list of 10 films, for instance, that go from easy to difficult. My list was something like this:

- South Park (cartoon)

Monster's Ball

Doc Hollywood

Appollo 13

Any Given Sunday

Witches of Eastwick

Stand By Me

Jackass Movie

You'll also find the link to send away for a proper "Exposure to Vomit" video from Sheffield, England. I did - it's in the hands of my therapist now! But it's good because some scenes are staged and others are real, and they're all situations you'd find around the house - a kid eating too much candy, a hangover, pregnancy, in bed with flu, etc.

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I just tried looking at all this stuff today, like the ratemyvomit site. It didn't make me anxious at all! I was disappointed. I even laughed at some of them.

I even watched the jackass movie and it did nothing but make me laugh my ass off, even the vomit scenes. I don't get it! This doesn't bother me at all, but I'm still deathly afraid of throwing up!
    what a horrible night to have a curse.

I watched JAckass too. Bam Magera fan right here!!!

I didn't watch the v* scenes though. Ugh.

Other than that I liked the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by sage

You'll also find the link to send away for a proper "Exposure to Vomit" video from Sheffield, England. I did - it's in the hands of my therapist now! But it's good because some scenes are staged and others are real, and they're all situations you'd find around the house - a kid eating too much candy, a hangover, pregnancy, in bed with flu, etc.

That sounds good.. maybe... dya think if movies with vomit in have no effect on me, that a exposure video will? Itll be more intense I spose. I find the whole idea 'revolting' but not really anxiety provoking... [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

Ive actually seen most of the films ya listed. lol... I didnt really think of them as gross.. the vomit scenes arent generally the main thing, apart from jackass which is jus stupid n the kyles girlfriend bit in south park!

*afterthought*

GRAPHIC
    On that rate my vomit site, i actually found one pic that grossed me out a lot- it was just a huge pile of it. solid lookin, whatever it was hadnt been down long.... outta all kindsa weird n random pics that lil thing bothered me... n i cant figure out why. [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

I know which you're talking about. I nearly fell out of my chair when I looked at it.

*graphic?*

hmmm...i saw sum wen i was out earlier...i started at it, i felt nothing, i did a little leap over it turned round looked at it and still felt fine...and it was a pretty rank lil lot lol

its seeing ppl actually do it that bothers me

Well Im new... looking around the site thanking god Im not the only one... I went to check out the site rate my vomit... thinking I might be able to handle it... no can do... Im all shaky and light headed now.[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

Im currently going to start seeking help... Ive got a 1 year old son and am dreading the moment Im going to have to deal with his "big boy" puke. So Im going to try to stop it before I have a break down and flip out when he needs me.

Im not affraid of myself doing it... althought I do not like to do it... Im very affraid of people around me. I cannot live my life a single day without thinking about someone doing it around me. I see a stain on the floor or side walk and cant help but wonder if it was a stain from some one who got sick. I cant sit on a toilet knowing at one point someone has actually got sick in that toilet before. Im to the point where its stopping me from going out. Im 20... I shouldnt want to sit at home and hide all day.

Hi Civic94girl!

Welcome to the site!

Check out the "exposure therapy" sticky link at the top of this treatments forum. It starts out really easy. NOBODY can go straight to the "rate my vomit" one without re-traumatizing themselves. Everyone reading this should be aware of that.

I went to that link a couple nights ago, and I could do up to category
    three or so. A few minutes ago, I was able to get up to five, but I
    don't think I'll be able to go much farther....

Anyhow, I have never really had any real exposure therapy, except maybe
    for the time when I was about eight or so, my best friend tried to get
    me to watch the vomit scene of Problem Child 2. I know she was only
    trying to help, and she did give me fair warnings when it was coming
    up, but I didn't do well...

-Anna

I got to category 3 and it made me feel sick >.<
    <a href=\"
    target=\"_blank\">

</a>

I dont think the exposure sites work really at all unless u are an Emet that fears seeing OTHERS vomit...not nessisarily urself...like me, V****ing myself ... not so much of a problem ... anyone else, YES YES YES !!! lol i wouldn't be able to handle it at ALL. I already got traumatized by a friend chasing me around with a pic out of a national geographic mag ! so no way !

RaVeN

just wanna say welcome to our family civic94girl.

ummm and as for exposure therapy..

margaret's pictures did make me feel anxious.... but even tho i strictly followed the instructions it didnt help. but i have found something that DOES WORK, so im gnna stick to that for now.

Jen xxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

Raven,

I was the same as you - in the end I only feared someone else. Don't forget that the trick is "gradual" exposure. The first picture is just a bunch of eggs with faces drawn on. Anyone can handle that, and the rest of the pictures are very very gradually getting worse. YOu work slowly at it, one picture a week or so. Spend LOTS of time with the one you can handle until you are ABSOLUTELY BORED with it, and it brings no anxiety whatsoever, or no feelings of sickness. (pink f: if you felt sick with category 3, you needed to spend more time on category 2...until you weren't feeling anything. THEN go to 3, and look at it until it just plain doesn't make you feel sick anymore. Then go on...it might take a week or even a month to do so.)

My point is that exposure therapy DOES work, and it works whether you fear yourself vomiting or others, cuz most people who fear doing it themselves don't want to see it in case it makes them sick. It ONLY WORKS, however, if you do it properly. Going too fast just re-traumatizes you and does nothing. Most therapists err on the side of progressing too quickly or starting too far up the hierarchy of fears (such as whoever made someone watch Parenthood video - YIKES! - that's too much at once - no wonder it didn't work!)

When done properly exposure therapy is very, very effective. Just "exposure" without the "therapy" approach is definitely not.