Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Why Are People So Thoughtless?

So there's a violent stomach virus going around and I'm freaking out and I'm very angry. One lady reported on Facebook that she had it last night and she's working today!!! At a grocery store no less!!! She said she needs the money. I think it's so selfish to infect hundreds of people. I told her to stay at home and lots of people are telling her the same but she's ignoring us. It makes me angry. Then there's all the parents that shove their kids in school so they can run off to work or run errands while they're still contagious or sick. What is wrong with people? Why can't they quarantine themselves and keep their sickness to themselves!! Last night my husband went to his friends house to visit their newborn baby and he mentioned to me when he got home that his friend had food poisoning symptoms!! Of course he didn't turn around and leave he hung out there and now I'm panicing. I don't know if he used their bathroom or what but I'm imagining it going through my house now and it's thrown me into panic mode. Also why wouldn't this guy send my husband away? I just don't understand people these days. Is anyone else angry when it comes to stuff like this?

Default Re: Why Are People So Thoughtless?

I know what u mean. It irritates me to no ends! Especially when ppl go to work..i understand having to work..like my mom right now thinks she has a cold, and she still went to work today (shes a waitress)...and i try telling her not to..be we have three kids and all live together and i dont have a job- so there's ppl who cant afford to stay home.. BUT, if there's a sv going around, no..the sicky person should def stay home and keep from infecting other ppl. thats exactly how its spreads so much =(

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Most people have a very poor understanding of how diseases are transmitted, so they might not think there actually is a huge risk of them infecting other people. Also, they don't see this as a "big deal", much like a cold to them (even less trouble, since it only lasts 24 hours or so instead of a week). So that's the main reason why these people are "selfish", they don't think they'll infect anyone and they think it's not a huge illness, just a rough night and day and it's fine. Which creates people who don't care about protecting others. They don't know that it is worse for a company to have more employees ill because someone infected them (or they don't care, some people really are selfish), they don't think anyone else absolutely HAS to avoid those illnesses (I'm a student and I cannot afford to be out for even 24 hours with a bug). Basically, if people were more educated they might not brush it off as silly OCD to tell them to stay home to prevent infection. They don't even understand the concept of cross-contamination, for the most part, including in food prep. I know people who cut vegetables on the same cutting board as chicken, without washing in between. So... yeah, they're blissfully ignorant.

I think that it`s a big deal even if for a lot of non emets, I mean, the common cold isn`t that bad, just some sneezing & coughing, but I can`t understand people who don`t take any precuations against svs, they are a lot more unpleasant than a cold. The idea of 24 hours spent with severe d&v would scare me even if I wasn`t emet.

YES! I hate it when people go to work and share the wealth! The economy (anywhere) makes it hard for people to call in but if I have something contagious I stay home!

I know EXACTLY what you mean! This also frustrates me to no end. I'm glad I am not the only one who gets angry over this. I know this is a little extreme but I remember getting so angry with a friend because they came to college when they had this sv*, and the worse thing is, they said they had been feeling poorly all night the night before and in the morning! It's like they don't give a damn about anyone else that catches it, and don't care about the people (like us,) who has a phobia of v*!

Totally agree, I feel sorry for people who struggle money wise and NEED to work, but I wish more people would take hygiene more seriously, especially here in the UK with the Noro bug.

Quote Originally Posted by LeviKing View Post
    Totally agree, I feel sorry for people who struggle money wise and NEED to work, but I wish more people would take hygiene more seriously, especially here in the UK with the Noro bug.
    I agree with you completely. I don't like the people that go around without a care in the world and spread this everywhere. It annoys me, UGH!