Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Therapy in the near future...?

Hey guys,on a more positive note to half the stuff uploaded on here,my parents have finally noticed that my phobia has caused a string of mental problems that make it difficult to function properly.
    I recently this year got a job in a office,its open plan and quite spacious yet still tight knit so to speak,2 People caught the virus,And when they were i started washing my hands like crazy,and cant leave the house without a hand sanitizer.
    I went a couple months to my doctor who put me on some book keeping for ocd tendancies,but it was never finalized,Now my mother and me chatted and she said i should get reffered from a family doctor,She was very caring and said she would come with me.
    I believe i do need help,I still uphold my tetollism,purely not because of vomiting,but because of the bad mistakes people make Haha.
    Though i want to have kids of my own one day,which means ill have to spew sooner or later,I can avoid the virus,but other illnesses i cant help.
    To me my fear seems natural like anyone else fears heights or a certain animal,but the difference is,WE are scared of a natural process,which..if i dont say is unnatural,Ill never progress

I am willing to start therapy,and to everyone here,Because i havent been refered or had any therapy. I would still rather lose a limb than be sick but i hope that changes!

I am hoping that some people that have had therapy can give me some tips,what to start with and what is the most effective, and how their recovery worked out.

Sorry for the long talk xx

Lucy

Default Re: Therapy in the near future...?

That's a very good decision to go ahead and get help, and it is very nice of your mother to be so understanding and to offer to come with you! You don't have to give up the handwashing completely, my parents always wash their hands when coming home and before eating, and they are normal people. It's just a good habit to have (well, maybe washing your hands 12 times a day at work would be excessive, but you get the idea). I haven't done therapy myself, but I know it can really help some people. I basically do my own therapy by listening to my parents when they tell me I'm being unreasonable. Let us know how it goes when you do see someone

Default Re: Therapy in the near future...?

Haha my hand washing is a bit excessive since i got a allergic reaction earlier from cream that is anti-inflammatory that made me inflame like mad,nothing like leaning over the sink with your hands in ice cold water

But yeah i might book tomorrow if theyre open,i looked up some therapy activities and they seem pretty docile so id love that