Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Bug or just anxiety? (long)

I posted a thread last night talking about a "bug" I think I have, which is on it's 8th day now. The length is worrying but I'm not too sure anymore, so I want to know what all of you think?
    Last thursday I went to college, after feeling sickish for about a week which is normal for me (I was PMSing). I got my period that day so I felt a little rough but nothing different. Anyway, I'd been avoiding college for a while because of my anxiety, and I had to stay behind to have a "talk" with my tutor, who was considering putting me on a gap year. I was ok with it but a little bit angry at myself a the same time. I got home, told my mum and we got into a MASSIVE argument. Then I had to go to my therapist for the weekly session, which ended in quite a serious talk about it. Then I stayed home fr a few hours because I had a couple of hours to kill before I went to work. During that time, while I was eating my boyfriend left me. I started to feel more and more angry and anxious and "overwhelmed". I went to work anyway and obviously I was feeling really panicky. About an hour into the show (I assist sound desk at this little gig thing) I went home because I felt genuinely sick and like i was going to pass out. As I was leaving my "boss" sort of thing told me the hospital radio I worked at was closing as well, so I was out of a job there. The next day I had a meeting with my tutors and psychologist together to see what my options at college were, which ended with going down to do the same subject but down one level, and part time, which I was happy with. Then I had to tell my dad which he kicked off as well. I went to my grandad's after that and felt a bit rough but not as bad as the night before. I managed to eat some pringles and a bit of food, but I had noticed I was eating less and losing my appetite. Later on that day, my friends, who were meant to be coming to a book signing with me (karl pilkington to be exact, my favourite baffoon!) cancelled out, and I had nobody else to go with, which I didn't need at that time. The next day, which was supposed to be the day of the signing, I felt even more sick, and it was my dad's birthday. I was feeling really fragile at that point. And my sister kept noticing some angry outbursts. I had a "bad stomach" that day as well: nausea, not quite diarrhea but frequent soft stools, no appetite at all and just an all over feeling of crap. What didn't help was that day it was my dad's birthday meal, which I ate a few chips of and felt sick. Didn't want any more, and I was REALLY on edge, like people were noticing. I kept going to the toilet as well because a. I was anxious and b. my stomach was churning.
    Next day I felt more rough and sick, and refused a steak (which is not like me!) and even struggled to eat bacon and toast. Got through the bacon but felt sick after, didn't bother with the toast. I was so near to diarrhea at this point as well, and I'd started to feel warm.
    On Monday I had a meeting with my psychologist again so I took an imodium to stop the bms, and I haven't used the bathroom for that reason since but I keep feeling like I need to. She said it sounded like a bug. And so did a nurse at this walk-in centre I went to, and she said it'd be gone in a few days. It got worse that night, I was struggling to eat anything at all, and got shakey and hot. Over the past few days it's been the same, feeling really sick, warm, whole body's aching and i'm slowly managing to eat bland things again but it's taking a long time. My appetite is coming back but I still can't tolerate much, and last night I woke up suddenly feeling really anxious, sick and gaggy, so I went to the toilet and kept managing to ward it off but I have noticed a LOT of sticky phlegm ove rthe past 2 days, which when i spit out the gaggy feeling goes away temporarily. I have been eating a LOT of extra strong mints though, because they help with the nausea.
    Sorry for the long post but I'd like to hear your opinions, because I'm getting a bit bored of it now

Default Re: Bug or just anxiety? (long)

oh and I'm getting heartburn now and the mints are starting to have an orangey taste to them :S and I'm getting sulphur burps

Default Bug or just anxiety? (long)

I posted this in general discussion but I don't know which is the right part to post in so I'm just reposting here
    I posted a thread last night talking about a "bug" I think I have, which is on it's 8th day now. The length is worrying but I'm not too sure anymore, so I want to know what all of you think?

Last thursday I went to college, after feeling sickish for about a week which is normal for me (I was PMSing). I got my period that day so I felt a little rough but nothing different. Anyway, I'd been avoiding college for a while because of my anxiety, and I had to stay behind to have a "talk" with my tutor, who was considering putting me on a gap year. I was ok with it but a little bit angry at myself a the same time. I got home, told my mum and we got into a MASSIVE argument. Then I had to go to my therapist for the weekly session, which ended in quite a serious talk about it. Then I stayed home fr a few hours because I had a couple of hours to kill before I went to work. During that time, while I was eating my boyfriend left me. I started to feel more and more angry and anxious and "overwhelmed". I went to work anyway and obviously I was feeling really panicky. About an hour into the show (I assist sound desk at this little gig thing) I went home because I felt genuinely sick and like i was going to pass out. As I was leaving my "boss" sort of thing told me the hospital radio I worked at was closing as well, so I was out of a job there. The next day I had a meeting with my tutors and psychologist together to see what my options at college were, which ended with going down to do the same subject but down one level, and part time, which I was happy with. Then I had to tell my dad which he kicked off as well. I went to my grandad's after that and felt a bit rough but not as bad as the night before. I managed to eat some pringles and a bit of food, but I had noticed I was eating less and losing my appetite. Later on that day, my friends, who were meant to be coming to a book signing with me (karl pilkington to be exact, my favourite baffoon!) cancelled out, and I had nobody else to go with, which I didn't need at that time. The next day, which was supposed to be the day of the signing, I felt even more sick, and it was my dad's birthday. I was feeling really fragile at that point. And my sister kept noticing some angry outbursts. I had a "bad stomach" that day as well: nausea, not quite diarrhea but frequent soft stools, no appetite at all and just an all over feeling of crap. What didn't help was that day it was my dad's birthday meal, which I ate a few chips of and felt sick. Didn't want any more, and I was REALLY on edge, like people were noticing. I kept going to the toilet as well because a. I was anxious and b. my stomach was churning.
    Next day I felt more rough and sick, and refused a steak (which is not like me!) and even struggled to eat bacon and toast. Got through the bacon but felt sick after, didn't bother with the toast. I was so near to diarrhea at this point as well, and I'd started to feel warm.
    On Monday I had a meeting with my psychologist again so I took an imodium to stop the bms, and I haven't used the bathroom for that reason since but I keep feeling like I need to. She said it sounded like a bug. And so did a nurse at this walk-in centre I went to, and she said it'd be gone in a few days. It got worse that night, I was struggling to eat anything at all, and got shakey and hot. Over the past few days it's been the same, feeling really sick, warm, whole body's aching and i'm slowly managing to eat bland things again but it's taking a long time. My appetite is coming back but I still can't tolerate much, and last night I woke up suddenly feeling really anxious, sick and gaggy, so I went to the toilet and kept managing to ward it off but I have noticed a LOT of sticky phlegm ove rthe past 2 days, which when i spit out the gaggy feeling goes away temporarily. I have been eating a LOT of extra strong mints though, because they help with the nausea. I'm getting heartburn and the mints are starting to taste like orange now :S and I'm getting sulphur burps.
    Sorry for the long post but I'd like to hear your opinions, because I'm getting a bit bored of it now

Oh hun, I think you have a LOT of things going on right now!!! I would totally say this is anxiety and the fact you are not really eating. I know that when I have any tummy issues, I stop eating, when really, I should have eaten. Stick to a bland diet (BRATT or plain chicken) to get yourself to eat. Sit infront of the TV or play online or something to get your mind off of it. But the fact that your life is changing and a lot of not so pleasant (I am so sorry for all of it) things are going on, your body is physically reacting to it. I know when I have a stressful day or week, it will settle in my stomach and I am just miserable! Try to keep your chin up!! Let me know if you need to talk!!

Hi,
    It sounds like you have been through a lot. Especially in the first day you mentioned. If I am reading it right, you got told that you might need to take some time off school, lost your job and got left by your boyfriend all in the same day! That is so much for anybody to handle (even somebody who did not have an anxiety disorder)! I think that overall, you are dealing with it very well!

I don't want to say that it definitely is not a bug, but to me it seems like it is a lot of anxiety (and for good reason). Maybe (because of the phlegm part) you are starting to come down with a cold? I get very gaggy when I first start getting a cold. I hope everything works out for you!

Keep us posted!

it sounds like you're very stressed out. I used to get sick from stress, too. I am not saying it is not a sv, since I am not a medical professional. However, I know I have been sick from stress like that as well - especially when my boyfriend dumped me in college. But loosing your job, your boyfriend and all those other events are a lot for anyone. It sounds like you need a good cry and a shoulder to cry on. I'm sorry that person wasn't your dad and your friends aren't nearby as well. After all that, it's no wonder you feel bad. (

sucks doesn't it! ohhhh to add to that my bloody ipod broke! not even funny!
    what's helping me a lot is dance music, i was brought up on that and rock and both of them have always helped! i'm just trying to stay relaxed and keep my mind off it for now, but it's hard work when you keep waking up in a blind panic/sicky feeling
    lucky for me i get to stay at my sister's next weekend, and i'm really close to her so it'll be brilliant, and i'm pretty excited! her and her boyfriend make it so i feel like royalty
    my dad has a pretty short temper so he just starts arguments about petty things like the way i leave my fan on to cool my "fever" down
    thanks for the help! get in touch if you ever want to talk

thanks people i have IBS and we think acid reflux so it was hard to work out what exactly it is that's going on with me, i thought it was just a period/IBS thing but i guess not!
    I've always had bad post nasal drip as well so the phlegm could be allergies? always tried to figure that one out, but that's a completely different matter!
    i felt like i was going to explode that day haha! when i was told i lost my job i just sort of went "URRGH FOR FUCK SAKE"
    but i have noticed i feel a bit better when i relax, even when i eat and drink a tiny bit so i've decided if i don't feel any better by monday i'll try and see a proper doctor instead of a nurse (i was expecting a doctor, useless twats), and see exactly what it is. either way next weekend i should be able to de stress because i get to stay at my sister's for a weekend, and we're really close and her and her fiancee treat me like royalty, all good coming my way!
    my immune system has gone to shit since i got anxiety, last time i got an sv before this was when i was in year 5! i'm in year 12 now! since that i've been catching all sorts, but multivitamins have helped me a ton, been a bit of an ill year for me seeing as i got chickenpox at age 15! (i turned 16 in june)
    if any of yous want anything as well get in touch with me

rambling a bit but i have had a bad year so i can understand it, my nan died in january, i had to start GCSE's and college, sister moved out, boyfriend business, i could go on!

shit i remembered this only posted in this section, so sorry for the double reply!

oh bloody hell it did, haha sorry! i had both open in different tabs so i got really confused

Brutt, as someone who suffers from anxiety and bi-polar typesymptoms a lot lately (they have flared up due to approaching exams and such)reading your story tells me that your body is just as unhappy as your soul! Dayin day out I wonder and wait for the SV to absolutely destroy me, but in truththe worrying itself is much more devastating to your wellbeing if that makessense. I am flying out to Fiji after my exams are over and am scared shitlessabout food pathogens and unhygenic circumstances and bugs, you name it! So muchso, that I am considering staying home and doing jack for the sake of feelingmiserable and bored as opposed to what COULD happen to me physically.
    The point is, due to the stress in your life which hit youquite suddenly, your probably feeling similar symptoms to a SV and in the samesort of manner because generally speaking SV come and go for one who isgenerally a healthy balanced person. Your life is so totally out of whack, Iwould be worried if you weren't feeling quite out of sorts.
    My advice is to simply take precautions like a probiotic -those suckers will guarantee you some sort of immunity which admittedly will belower from stress.
    But, something I have recently discovered after recoveringfrom an awful virus (not GI, a flu-like one that was quite bad and had bedebilitated for at least a month, even after the nasty week was over) wascolloidal silver! Absolutely brilliant against all things bacterial, viral,absolutely anything! It would probably help your cold-like symptoms as well ifyou take one teaspoon and hold it under your tongue for 30 seconds beforeswallowing, then repeating this every hour until recovered. The dosage for GIissues like SV/bug is slightly different, I can't remember offhand but if thechemist has it they should know!
    Go to a chemist and ask them about it. The brand I use is called Suttons Solutions, they have a website but since I'm so new I can't post links! Its an Australianproduct, but it will give you some information about the product in general asthere are other brands.

Sorry for the weirdness in the post before, some words aren't spaced because I timed out and had to copy it to a word document and re-login to post it.

Have a wonderful time with your sister. Sounds like you could use some fun and some time to destress.

thanks! i will
    and nice! i'll give it a go
    i just ate a bit of chicken and felt like i was going to throw up, but i was anxious while eating it because i was being timed by my dad :S and because it was sort of being forced on me, apparently i look better and i felt better this morning... til i ate
    what the hell is wrong with me i'm freaking out

and i HAVE to go and get a bridesmaid dress fitted tomorrow, it's by appointment so i have no choice, what the fuck can i do D:

i've talked it over with my parents and i'm seeing a doctor on monday sort this out!

Sounds like anxiety I have the same issues so if u ever wanna talk PM me

thanks, i will