Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Dry mouth=V*?

I was talking to a friend of mine who told me that your mouth gets really dry right before you V*. Is that true? Because he told me that I've gotten really paranoid about the state of my mouth. If it's dry I FREAK the HELL out. I always have to keep my mouth moist because of what he said. Is it true? Does anyone know?

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I always thought you produced more saliva before you "v'd." Everyone is different though, maybe he gets dry mouth before he does. Maybe he was just a stupid acting person trying to freak you out. (Not to put him down if he is a true friend to you.)

LoL he's a good friend. I was talking to him while he was on a cell phone in his car with his kids and one of his kids was feeling sick. I heard him say in the background that his mouth was dry and my friend said "Oh..." then he said to me, "That means he's going to be sick." and that just sort of stuck with me...that's why I'm wondering if it's true or not.

~Monica

Well, I hope your friends son gets to feeling better, and I swear I wasnt trying to put your friend down. I didnt knw if this was one of those types of friends that would like to pick on you about this phobia.

No don't worry you didn't offend me or anything :-D

~Monica

I always thought you salivated more if you are going to be sick. I know that when I have dry mouth, I need a drink bad!! LOL!! I have never heard of your mouth being dry before vomiting though. Charlotte
    Spring is here!

Dry mouths usually mean that you're dehydrated... At least, that's what I think.

iv suffered dry mouth before iv been sickso i also freak when i get a dry mouth

I've heard and read that your mouth produces more salvia before you v*. But I also heard and read that your mouth gets dry whenever you get a panic attack or get really nervous. The reason why people speaking on television have a glass of water on their side is because youur mouth gets dry when you are nervous. The physical side of getting a panic attack includes dry mouth, cold hands and your heart going faster. So I think these two phenomenas cancel each other out if you see what I mean.

I have to say that on the one time I remember v...I had excess saliva in my mouth that I had to keep on swallowing....however....in the past few months I have been experiencing very severe to moderate nausea...and every single time I do this...my mouth is like the saraha desert it is so dry....it's weird....b/c I always thought it would be the opposite.....keep in mind that I have never actually v yet with a dry mouth...so I don't really know what it's all about.....I just know it has been happening quite often...and yes I think that i am over anxious or maybe even having anxiety issues as well when this happens...other times it just hits me out of the blue with no reason...Kat

you get more spit before you are going to v*. the idea behind that being that a) the spit is carrying the chemical message to the stomach muscles to start their contractions (trust me, if you keep spitting that stuff you, you can delay v*ing for quite a while) and b) the extra liquid is going to lubricate the stomach contents and make them come up easier. actually what you are supposed to do if you are about to v* is to drink a glass of water, so the acid doesnt cause damage and so you can get the act over with quicker.

which sounds like good advice, just not like something i would do

I think in general most people salivate more, but not always. I remember dragging myself to a party about two days after having an sv (my friends had BEGGED me not to miss it, so I reluctantly went), and I started to feel nauseous. Someone at the party told me that if you salivate a lot (which I was doing), it meant that you are going to v*. Meanwhile, once I got my mind off of it, I felt much better. Unfortunately, that person's tidbit of "wisdom" stuck with me, and every time I salivated a lot, I got nervous. It took many instances of salivating and not v*ing to convince me that salivating a lot does not necessarily mean that you're going to v*. In other words, damn the people that tell us these things! All it does is cause unnecessary worry.

I get dry mouth when I panic so theres no way for me to tell what state
    I am in before I am sick. Most things I feel before V* are
    panic-related so I have no idea what tis just like to be normal sick..

On the contrary, I always...I mean always get a very dry mouth before I have to get sick...as long as I can remember, way before the panic attacks started in my 20's. First my mouth gets real, real dry, then my neck feels real wierd, then my vision gets distorted, almost like I'm in a trance. By this point, I try to literally shake it off...I literally shake my head, pop a couple Altoids in my mouth to keep it moist and keep swallowing, while I sip hot-hot-hot peppermint tea. Then I try my very hardest to keep everything down. But, I never go anywhere without my altoids to suck on and at least some water to sip on.

I have never had my mouth water when the time comes. Never. In fact, I always thought that maybe that is why I'm so scared to be sick is because these "pre-sick" symptoms were to intense for me, as I have heard also that people salivate. So I figured that is why I am so scared is because I do not salive. Who knows.

Maybe that's what his kid says before he gets sick because of the feeling he thinks he feels when he is sick. Does that make a bit of sense? In my head it did! haha!
    \"This too shall pass\"

SO there is no postive verdict here. Some people have dry mouths before they get sick and some people don't. LoL This is very confusing...Actually what Blood_Tears said makes a lot of sense too...I don't know I could never drink a glass of water when I'm feeling N* I usually just curl up and watch TV and wait for the feeling to go away.

~Monica

Monica,

First, coming from someone who also has emetaphobia and panic disorder, i stress to you.....do not worry about this. I get dry mouth all the time and for me is panicking. Most people panic at one time and the MOST COMMON symptom is dry mouth and difficulting breathing.

Sure, some people may get a dry mouth before getting sick, but some people may get the hiccups.....don't worry if you get the hiccups. You are fine!! i don't know you, but remember, you 'freaked out' because you panicked, not because you were getting sick.

I have only gotten sick three times in my life and i still get confused when it would start. HOwever, when i get naseaus, it is not really that...it is simply me panicking with a DRY MOUTH.

Thus, when you get a dry mouth, SIP water and take deep breaths. Breath in from your mouth....hold for a few seconds and breath out through your nose. This is a self soothing method and brings your breathing back to normal. WHen that happens, your saliva is more likely to start working effectively.

THere is a positive to this and all of us need to look UP and not DOWN. We are also scared of this but thinking the worst only causes the worst. Rather, thinking the best, allows there to be a positive outcome.

Jordan

You can also get a dry mouth through panic, so people who are scared of being sick will obviously have a dry mouth more than a moist one. Its fear.