Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Angry Is anyone else ever scared to sleep?

I feel as though for a lot of us we are scared at nighttime more because of the idea of waking up in the middle of the night with the sv. I know that for me, that was always when it hit me. I find that nighttime is a bit more scary for me, I feel alone even though my husbands asleep next to me, it's odd. I hate it. Then when I do wake up in the middle of the night, just because, my first thought is about getting sick, then I have to fight away the obsessive thoughts, I feel like I loose the battle if I have to get up and sleep on the couch.
    Tell me I'm not alone here!
    Currently up... Haven't tried sleeping yet, just wrote a post an hour ago about a medium rate hamburger I ate and how paranoid I am about it.

Default Re: Is anyone else ever scared to sleep?

Yes for sure. I try to stay up pretty late most of the time because thats when i worry most, because i have woke up in the middle of the night in a full blown panic attack and it scares me to death.

Sometimes, when my anxiety is worse than other times, I get that "funny feeling" about going to sleep, especially if its after a night where I had a "bad night" if I was up with indigestion or something...last night was different though...I needed sleep bad, so it felt so good to actually relax....then I woke up at 2 am again and had to use the bathroom...I layed there wide awake suddenly, that makes me worry sometime...I hate when that happens

Yes and No - I'm not scared now, but after having noro a few years ago it took me a long long time before i could go to bed without obsessing over whether i was going to wake up in the night beong sick. And if i did wake up for whatever reason i would get in a right old state assuming it was due to a stomach virus.

I also used to go and sleep on the settee with the telly on, or go to bed but then get up and spend the rest of the night on the settee but what helped me go to bed and stay there was having things by the bed to help me which were:

A drink
    My ipod }
    My netbook } Distraction things to help with panic
    My DS }

Peppermint Oil to sniff on a tissue }
    Anti emetics (only to be used in case of severe emergency!) }
    Seabands } Things to help with nausea
    Smints (little tiny peppermint sweets) }

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi, am new to the site and just joined. Just want to say I could cry when I see how many other people feel the exact same way I have felt to the last 19 years. I NEVER sleep and I can't believe I am the only one. I stay up worrying about getting sick in the middle of the night, if something wakes me up I always panic at first wondering if something is going to happen. I worry that the years of not sleeping right are going to effect my health in the long term.. I really can't believe I'm not the only one. Is anyone else so ashamed and embaressed by this as well?

You are SO not alone <3

I used to be terrified of sleeping, especially after I caught a sv* three years ago (which was the one that made my emet spiral out of control) when I woke up feeling HORRIBLE and then realized too late what was wrong.
    For the next year I was petrified of sleeping, but now I've slowly gotten to the point where I'm not as afraid anymore. Some nights it is still a big problem, but it's gotten better.

I'm actually the opposite. Because I want to sleep the winter away! Also.. I'm obsessed with getting enough sleep each night to keep my immune system in tip top shape to help avoid getting sick. I'm obsessed with boosting the immune system. So I try to make sure I get a minimum of 7 hours at night! So that is driven by my fear of getting sick too.. just in a different way. Now if I'm already feeling nauseous before bed.. I won't be able to go to sleep until it subsides.

You're def not alone, sweetie. I do it every night & usually feel even crappier than before. I have had anxiety and panic attacks every night this week. I am terrified of getting the sv & I stay up until I cant hold my eyes open anymore...

this is the exact time it happens for me also. i am always fine all day then once i start getting tired and its getting late i get nervous. i haven't thrown up in more than 12 years since i was little and cant even remember what it feels like which is why i think i am the way i am.

I get so scared to sleep, actually right now I'm stalling because I don't want to go to bed You aren't alone, as you lie there trying to sleep, think that there are others doing the same, and going through the same thing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This goes a long with my fear a little bit. But, the truth is if I got up in the middle of the night and got sick I think I would handle it well. Honestly, I would prefer to get sick while I was sleeping (if that is possible). Or get sick and not remember it.
    I write electronic music! Check out my music here:

All my music is free! Enjoy! PM me and let me know what you think of my music.

There is hope:

Yes Usually I have to take at least 75mg of Unisom and doxylamine succinate before I can have any hopes of sleeping soundly and it's going to be really interesting because the Spring semester at my college starts Tuesday.

If you're taking unisom and doxylamine, you could be overdoing cuz unisom IS doxylamine...unless you're taking like the sleep gels.. I take unisom too...I wait until I can't keep my eyes open any longer! The last time I v* was when I was 7. I'm almost 22...and the last time I v* I woke up in the middle of the night and did it... I don't really remember it being too horribly bad...but I think it was the stuff that happened after the fact that got me so scared!!
    "It is the child that sees the primordial secret in nature and it is the child of ourselves we return to. The child with-in us is simple and daring enough to live the secret."

I take the Unisom sleep melts that contain diphenhydramine. I know the sleep tabs contain doxylamine.