Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: New to this!

Default New to this!

Hi i'm new to this. Did not know I had emetophobia until this weekend. I have been suffering with it for about 10 yrs now, but it has gotten worse and I'm finally going to see a therapist. Can anyone give me ideas at what might go on in therapy? They talk about exposure therapy, is it awful and does it help? Also what is CBT?
    I'm glad I'm not the only one with this. For a while i thought I was crazy!
    Any info for me would help!

Default Re: New to this!

Hey and welcome to the site! I hope you find a lot of great support here Good luck with therapy! I've seen a number of therapists over the years and it takes awhile to find one that you will really click with and benefit from seeing. Not trying to discourage you in anyway! You just need to go in with an open mind and be totally honest with your therapist...about EVERYTHING. They are not there to judge you, only help you. I unfortunately do not have any experience with exposure therapy, but I hear that it is great in terms of treating this phobia. However, I do have experience with CBT which is what all my therapists have used in the past. They just try and help you try to change your way of thinking. It is truly effective as long as you have faith in yourself and your therapist. Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the info. I'm going to see the dr. tomorrow and I will let you know how it turnes out!

Awesome! Good luck!