Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Quizzing

Does everyone else do this, and quiz people about sickness? I know watching people is a trait and you probably quiz your family and stuff, but I posted last week about a person I eat lunch with at work and her husband had been up v'ing all night and then I ate something she'd made and freaked out. Well I held my tongue until today. I wanted so badly Monday to ask the woman if she or her sons had gotten sick. I didn't ask, but I sat there staring at her during lunch, as if her body language would tell me the answer. I didn't ask yesterday either, and then today I just couldn't stand it anymore, I asked. I am so disappointed in myself. Why did I have to know???? I know it's part of my OCD and digging for information which makes me feel more in control, but why do I have to know?? Isn't NOT knowing better? I would love to be in a state of blissful ignorance. Imagine how peaceful life would be. Ugh. I'm so disappointed. How do you shut off that part of the brain that has to quiz people??? [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

BTW, she had diarhea and nausea but didn't v* a million times like her husband. [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

i quiz people too, but then i have ocd also, i hate it at school when kids parents specify in their notes why their kids were off sick, i hate reading it was cos of a stomach bug, but i guess at least if i know it was a cold i dont have to worry! i honestly dont know whats worse, knowing or not knowing.

I quiz people too, even if it wasnt them that was sick. They could be telling me about someone they work with and there I am asking all these questions .................
    I dont know whats worse, knowing or not knowing ............

I quiz people all the time too. As soon as they say "I don't feel good", I am always "Is your stomach upset?", "Do you feel like v*?". I do that all the time.

You know I was thinking, I just wish that people would keep their illness to their selves. If I didn't know someone had been v*, or someone in their family was v*, I wouldn't even think about it. Why does everyone have to display, or shout out that they were v*. I don't want to know. What I don't know won't hurt me, right?? It's like if their child was up sick, they proceed to tell you how they were v* all night, or they had to catch it in their hands (that is in my case). Why tell me?? I don't want to hear this. (Expect for people on the site, cause that is what we are here for, so please no one get offended). I'm just talking about co-workers, and friends, they always have to give such details about v*, and I really don't want to hear it, cause then I will wonder if I will get it.

Maybe I am being selfish, but I understand why we put such emphasis on v*, cause we fear it, but why does everyone else do the same?? Does this even make sense?? I guess I just needed to vent. Sorry.
    That which does not kill us only makes us stronger.

Ha Ha! I actually did this last night at a funeral. How tacky is that? A girl said that she had called off work the day before because she didn't feel well, so I had to ask what was wrong with her.

Recently my psychologist was sick with a sore throat type thing. She did not cancel my appointment. Instead she let me know the minute I came in the door that she had not been feeling well. She did not let me know what was wrong with her right away. She told me she had been sick and debated whether or not to cancel my appointment, but thought she would let me come in and ask her as many questions that I wanted and sit as far away as I wanted and then decide whether or not I wanted to stay. I was very relieved to find out that she hadn't been vomiting and I stayed.

She explained to me that it is important for us to be able to ask questions when people aren't well. That more than helping us gain control, gives us a better understanding of what is going on. She encourages me to both ask questions when people are sick and to (when people around me are sick) express my dislike for them coming to work (or whatever the case may be). She encourages me to say "Hey.. Stay the heck away from me. What is wrong with you coming to work sick? Shouldn't you be at home resting? I sure don't need to be sick right now." Now.. I know that we all have this phobia for different reasons and the fact that I haven't been sick for so long and the fact that I only got sick a handfull of times as a child is probably why she has given me the okay to pry when being faced with hearing one of these stories. Also, my phobia has a little to do with not having control or feeling like I had a voice as a child, so she thinks it is good for me to tell people when I don't agree with what they are doing. I'm not sure this is good for everyone to be going around doing, but it's one thing I am working on. Does that make sense?
    \"This too shall pass\"

I did this the other day, too. My husband had some people come to his work place from out of town earlier this week to do some tours and stuff. He said one of the guys had to leave early because he was sick. I said "What kind of sick" and he said "Oh, he was p**ing" like it was nothing. I asked him if he had gotten near him and fortunately my husband said the guy went back to his hotel room that day before he even came in for the tour. I'm figuring this guy caught something on the airplane.

I quiz people a billion times, even if its not THEM, but a friend, who
    has gotten sick. E.g: "I feel sick" me: "How so? Stomach wise or cold
    wise? Are you ok? are you gonna v*?" Ofcourse, some of this could be
    OCD for me as well. But you are DEFINATLY not alone on this!

hehe, how ironic, I just got off the phone, after quizzing my friend Becki about her and her daughter's illness last night!! (Yeah, while we were at their house!)[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

I totally hate doing it because I don't want people to think I was weird, but it's like I just can't stop myself. It's like I'm on sv surveilence or something. I just hate it!!!

I quizzed my husband just this morning because he was tired and stayed in bed a little longer this morning. It's like "do you have a headache, do you have a stomach ache...." like he's a little kid! I hate it!!

2jo2 I quiz people to sometimes I do it over and over and they become angry with me! When my son called me from his dads last Friday and said he didn't go to school because he felt sick, that the night before he had pains in his stomach and was sitting beside the toilet. Automatically I asked how are you now? Do you still feel sick? He was suppose to come home but wanted to stay and see his cousins. He called me on SundayI think and said his dad is sick, here we go again, what is wrong with him? Is he puking? Tyler was at his aunts and wanted to stay until Wednesday I said ok. Than I phoned his dad, of all people, trying to sound normal I phoned and said wow you don't sound good whats wrong? He said I have the flu? What kind of flu? he said the flu? I started to become a little ticked and I asked do you have a sore throat and he said kind of, its more in my chest. Oh I said well get lots of sleep and said bye. Here I am quizzing my ex whom I don't like very much & showing concern of what is wrong with him, oh jeez. I do need a life.

I think all emetophobes have this problem! I am getting better at not
    worrying about what, exactly, sick people were sick with, but it still nags
    at the back of my mind! Here in the US, people use the word "sick" to
    describe anything from a minor cold to a major illness. In the UK, "sick"
    usually means "vomiting".So they have it easier (?) when making their
    inquiries when someone is not feeling well. Sigh.What a stupid thing
    this emetophobia is - unless, as I sometimes think, it is a an evolutionary
    step forward to help protect those of us who suffer from it from
    contracting deadly diseases...but it sure is a burden.

Rhonda,

I'm afraid I would have wanted to do the same thing you did. It's like it would drive me crazy until I asked. It's like if a piece of cake or something is sitting in front of you when you really want it but shouldn't have it. It's this incredible urge.

I do this all the time... mainly with my kids, the poor souls!!! I feel as if Im showing concern for them but in actuallity it seems like its more for my peace of mind. I ask others also. Like if it is mentioned " So and so was sick or so and so doesnt feel well" I say oh whats wrong? That usually brings me an answer. But I don't want ppl thinking that I am weird also... But I don't think ppl will think that just by asking the problem... maybe if you say " Do they have a stomachache? Did they V***. Its usually a cut and dry answer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2jo2, I felt like such a twit asking or grilling my ex but I needed to know. Tyler goes back to his dads today I kept him here for an extra 2 days. Tyler is fine so he didnt catch that influenza. Now that March break is over he goes back to school tomorrow hopefully from nowuntil June it will be flu and all virus's free. Easter is coming and I am hoping that no one gets sick. My sister goes in to the hospital on Tuesday for her C-section and she wants me to come, Itold tell her that if I come it won't be until the summer, she knows about my phobia which helps, but still I want to be with my baby sister (14 years between us)and it bothers me at times like this that I have this stupid phobia, times like this frustration sets in big time.

heh heh...I quiz people too. To make it less obvious though, I act really concerned. Well its not acting reallyjust natural for me to look that way when i ask. ehehe..I always ask the question, "are you okay?"like over and over. "areyou sure?"
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

I do this too. Just today I have been quizzing my husband. He was around someone who had recently gotten over the stomach bug and I have been freaking over that. He has had terrible gas since last night and was acting tired this afternoon...He gets up at 2:30am to go to work, yes he would be tired.[img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img] But I keep asking him "Do you feel ok?" "You dont think you have the virus do you" He jokes around and I get mad then he will say "NO! I am fine". He is eating ice cream and sharing it with Madison[img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]!! I hate that. He is probably ok. He will be around his friend tomorrow who had the stomach virus last Wednesday into Thursday morning. I hate the quizzing part. I always need to know. At work when someone calls out and says they are sick I always ask "Oh, whats wrong?" I quiz my kids too![img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

I am going to get better...I HAVE TOO!