Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Friends..

I have one best friend who truly understands my fear. She does her best to be there for me. And I love her for it.

All of my other friends don't understand. Even after I try and explain it to them. They laugh, make fun of me, or ridicule it.

So frustrating. I don't understand why they do this. They make throwing up noises, tell me "I just need to puke", laugh and makes jokes about it.

I find this really hurtful.

Hey, ur really lucky to have a best friend like that.

I haventthoroughly spoken to my friends about my fear... or rather how severe it can be, but they r all aware of it. One of my friends is really fantastic and knows exactly how to help if im having a panic attack or feeling a bit icky.

Whenever ive been to parties and stuff, everyone is really great (even the lads!)people know that I'm gona be a bit anxious and so they always move away from me if they feel like they r gonna b sick, or they let me know when anyone is about to v* so that i can move to another room or something. I never really panic if someone v*'s cuz of alcohol, cuz its them not me, and so i cant catch it.

As to what u said about some of ur friends being mean and doing things that would make an emet uncomfortable or hurt ur feelings... my opinion is that they r not worth worrying about. No1 has the right to make u feel like that - u deserve friends that respect ur fear and help u through the bad times, not those who could possibly make it worse. Maybe tell them how uncomfortable it is making u feel, and really make sure they know how they r effecting u. Maybe they dont realise how bad it makes u feel and would b horrified to know that it effects u in such a way. I hope i helped a little? lol

Take care - Rachel xxx

im sorry to hear about these other friends... dont sound lke friends much to me.

i have a best friend who knew straight from the beginning, and it sounds lke urs is as wonderful as mine.

my other friends know, but they dont understand it, of course, but at leat they dont make fun of me

mayb u cud try tlkin to them again, and mayb ur best friend cud be there, to try and get them to understand quite how severe this is? so its best they just kinda forget about it, instead of teasing you?

Jen xxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Its hard when it comes to telling your friends. Although my friend didnt make v* noises she didnt understand and said that I was just stupid! *Great, that really helped my self esteem!) I told another friend on AIM! She was ok about it and just said 'ok I wont mention v* around you' and that was that.

Its great you have a good friend to talk to who can help you out if you are out somewhere etc etc. As for the others you could tell them how severe your phobia is or just let them forget about it!

Wow Michelle!!! I'm SOOO sorry about all your other friends and the way they act!!! That's just plain ignorant and rude!!! [img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]Maybe they don't know how severe your phobia is?? I wish people didn't act that way no matter how severe the phobia is!!! That's very inconsiderate!! I'm sorry about this!!! [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]Again, have you discussed the severity of your phobia with them?? Maybe that will make them stop.

But I am glad to hear your best friend is so supportive!!! If only everyone else were just as wonderful and understanding, huh? [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Good to have SOOOO many of those wonderful people right here, isn't it?[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

deffenatly! I count all of you as my friends! I mean its great that with my friends i can go out with them and see them everyday, but they dont really understand me. But everyone on here seemsto understand as is also going through the same things I'm going through. This site is amazing and so is everyone on here!

Hey Ladies! I forgot about this topic! lol! Thanks for all the replies.

Most of my friends know how serious my fear is, but it's something they don't understand. And when people don't understand something, they sometime make fun! It's not very good at all. But theres nothing else I can do. I've tried explaining the phobia to them and how serious a fear I have. (If they saw me panicking and freaking out - they may understand!)

But for now, I'm just keeping to myself. I need some new friends, supportive ones.

My bestest friend Emily (*em strange*) knows about my fear and she helps me. She's so cool! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]