Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I wash my hands a lot, because I'm scared of touching things that may have germs on them that could cause me to v****. I have been referred to a psychologist, and have been diagnosed as having OCD. I'm not sure she understands that although I do obsessively wash my hands, there is an underlying reason for it. I'm not sure if I do actually have OCD or not. I'm really confused, wondered if anybody had any advice about this.
    \"You are beautiful, no matter what they say \"
    \"Too many Years, fighting back tears, why can\'t the past just die? Try to forgive, teach me to live, give me the strength to try\"

I was diagnosed wit OCD because of my obessive temperature taking. The underlying caue is my fear of vomiting. I also wash my hands a lot...to the point where they are dry and cracking. Its painful.
    <font size=\"2\"><font color=red>aol/aim screename: kraziqtashes&lt;br&gt;
    dontwannabeme17
    </font></font>

I dont wahs my hands that often actually..... which i;m quite proud of, but don't worry..... i always wash them after i've been to the loo! But usuaully, mostof the time i can't be arsed to get up and go n washt them!! lol [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by mystikal star
    I was diagnosed wit OCD because of my obessive temperature taking.

I used to take my temperature all the time. I wouldn't leave the house unless I'd taken it and I used to get obsessed over it. Since I started meds I haven't done it, but i'd never thought of it as being OCD before.
    \"Too many Years, fighting back tears, why can\'t the past just die? Try to forgive, teach me to live, give me the strength to try\"

I am a HUGE handwashing FREAK!!! I was my hands all the time, probably near 100 times a day and people think I'm insane. In the restrooms at work I have my routine which cracks up my friend...I will flush the toilet with my foot, then I'll turn on the faucet, make sure the paper towel dispenser has one out and ready for me, wash my hands, grab the towel and dry them, then use the towel to turn off the faucet and open the bathroom door before leaving. If any step gets messed up then I repeat the whole thing! I'm crazy I know... but bathrooms are disgusting.

Also I can't stand it when the people I work with don't wash their hands before we all eat lunch... especially because I work at a department store where we handleclothing and money all day... God only knows how many hands and pockets those pennies, nickels and dimes have seen!!!

YUCK!!!

~Rachel
    My journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    wink

Giving up doesn\'t always mean that we are weak. Sometimes it just means that we are strong enough to let go.
    Unknown

i have slight OCD, but not hand washing, but " phrase saying" its odd. and i stil think it counts as OCD, even if it has an underlying reason, cos ur stil obsessively performing a ritual thats illogical, really.

anyway, its good ur seeing a psychologist for it, hope he/she can help.

good luck

Jen xxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckygalrk

I am a HUGE handwashing FREAK!!! I was my hands all the time, probably near 100 times a day and people think I'm insane. In the restrooms at work I have my routine which cracks up my friend...I will flush the toilet with my foot, then I'll turn on the faucet, make sure the paper towel dispenser has one out and ready for me, wash my hands, grab the towel and dry them, then use the towel to turn off the faucet and open the bathroom door before leaving. If any step gets messed up then I repeat the whole thing! I'm crazy I know... but bathrooms are disgusting.

OMG...I do the EXACT same thing in the restroom. And when there arent towel dispensers and I have to use the heated one I turn it on by lifting my leg and hitting the button with my foot. My mom laughs whenever I'm washing my hands.
    dontwannabeme17
    </font></font>

Something else I wanted to mention and didnt...

This may gross some people out...

When I was younger I would NEVER wash my hands. NEVER NEVER NEVER. The only time they go washed is when I took bath. I would play in the dirt outside and have dirt crusted all over my hands and I would eat without washing my hands. I would do number two and never washed my hands unless it got on my hands. My mom would scream at me to wash my hands and I'd pretend I was washing them. I did this until atleast the age of 13. I was a disgusting kid. LOL

Now I wash them like crazy and basically because I learned from all you that the best way to stay clear ofa vbug is to wash those hands! So I now do....and TOO much. But I'd rather have chapped and cracked hands then a vbug. Okay I am rambling. LOL [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    dontwannabeme17
    </font></font>

I constantly wash my hands, especially before preparing food as I worry that I may have touched something that could contaminate it! I never put my fingers in my mouth or touch my mouth incase I transfer germs there.

Like Jen, I have "sayings" that i have to say at certain times before I go to sleep otherwise I think I will v*. I do them every single night and whilst I know that i'm crazy for doing these obsessive things... i dont dare not do them...

Rachel xxx

Rachel, i have a saying which i have to say, almost 24/7. so i can relate to you, its god damn annoying, but its not particularly time consuming like sum obsessions can be, but it does often mean that my mind is elsewhere, cos im always having to say this phrase in my head instead of listening to people.

about washing hands, im not that bothered about it, which is quite strange. i like to make sure i have clean hands in the morning, but other than that i dont really fuss about it. obviuosly, i do wash them, but not because i particularly want to. =|

anyway, now im rambling, lol.

xxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

MSN:

I think all emets... n most other ppl too have at least some obsessive behaviours, if it pleases you, n doesnt do any harm, what are you worried about?

because, as my social worker today, my OCD obsessions means that i dont think i have control of myself. if i think im gnna v* or if im put in an humiliating experience i rely on this one phrase to get me thru. and its a safety net that can progress and manipulate and get worse, lke it did back wen i was 11 years old.. it got time consuming back then, and i'd prefer for it to not go lke that again.

generally, it doesnt plesae me, and it doesnt even make me feel ne better nemore, now, its just unconcious.

Jen xxx

MSN:

I have the same thing. My handwashing isnt obsessive but I just wash my hands alot. Lie if I touch something that may have alot of germs on i'l wash my hands, but I guess that common sense.

mystikal star that is just like me! haha i never used to wash my hands excessivelyuntil a little while ago when i found out it can really reduce the risk so now i wash them all the time! and if i dont wash them i dont eat with my fingers lol
    <center>+ Sammeh +

</center>

Abi,

It's ok to be diagnosed with OCD, even though your obsession relates to your phobia.What I mean by "it's ok" is that the treatment for OCD and phobia are essentially the same. It is anxiety that causes OCD sufferers to compulsively do things. Thecompulsive behavior is "reassurance" that they will be temporarily "ok" about whatever the obsession is - in your case, it's vomiting. However, as you know, no matter how many times you wash your hands you're still terrified. So the hand-washing (obsessively - or excessively) is not helping you with the fear. You're still scared. The same is true with temperature-taking. When you see your temperature is normal, you're temporarily relieved of anxiety. But it doesn't work in the long-term.

The psychologist should be able to help you. Don't worry too much about the diagnosis - that's sort of an "on-paper thing" for them and their forms, etc. He or she should still listen to what is scaring you most, and go from there. Be sure to be clear and keep harping at it until her or she understands the exact nature of your anxiety.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I've been obsessively washing my hands for about 7 years now. For a long time, they would only get dry and cracked during the winter, but now they're dry and cracked pretty much all year round. My friends all yell at me to either stop washing my hands so much, or to start using lotion. I definitely use lotion a lot more than I used to... but I don't like it. Lotion seems like it's a perfect substance to collect and breed bazillions of germs. That's why I'll only put it on right after I've washed my hands... and only if I'm not going to be out and touching a lot of stuff.

Do you guys ever wash your hands multiple times during a single hand-washing session? For example, I'll soap up my hands, rinse, then soap up again, rinse again, and repeat, sometimes two or three more times. I don't do this every time... but sometimes my hands just never feel clean. I think emetophobia is one of the worst phobias to have, because so many other things develop from it, like OCD, anxiety problems, and sometimes depression. Just keep fighting it everyone... we can't let it win!!

&lt;Zachary&gt;
    <center><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\"><font size=\"2\">Bach gave us God\'s word,
    Mozart gave us God\'s laughter,
    Beethoven gave us God\'s fire,
    God gave us music that we may pray without words.
    </center></font></font>

Thank you so much Sage, your reply really helped.

Zachary, I do sometimes wash my hands multiple times. I used to do that a lot, but my therapy has helped me to stop doing that.