Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Struggling at the moment....

Hi all,

I haven't posted on here for ages but have read the threads on and off for years.
    I have been an emet for as long as I can remember. I can clearly recollect every v* incident that occurred around me in reception class, so I guessing it was present right back then!! I suspect the root of my problem may be due to my mum covering my mouth when I was ill to avoid her carpet being messed up. I cruised through my younger years (but can remember most v* incidents) although they didn't seem to bother me too much. I think emet hit me worst in my teens....during my GCSE's I spent every night locked in my room trying not to be sick, but feeling dreadful! I went off to uni and decided to train as a nurse and midwife..this faced my fears head on...and I can honestly say I am completely cured of the other people bit.....it's just me being sick now that TERRIFIES me!!!! I have 3 young children and dread winter vomiting season....if fact, it hit here 2 nights ago...my poor 8 year old was so ill...he v* around 20 times. Thank god my husband was home and dealt with it all. Over the last few years I've mustered the courage to tell me husband about it all...he thinks I'm completely mad (he's a doctor...a paediatric oncologist) so he see's people on their death bed everyday and can't believe I am serious about having a fear of something so minor as vomiting!!!
    The last few days have been terrible...my poor son can't move without me yelling at him to wash his hands/change his clothes .
    This emet influences me more than I realise...we even bought a house with 5 bathrooms...just so that everyone has their own in case the dreaded lurgy strikes.
    Sorry for the vent guys...
    I hope you all had a nice xmas, and have a great new year!
    T x

Default Re: Struggling at the moment....

welcome back to the forum........sounds like you have quite a full life. congrats on becoming a midwife/nurse...quite a brave profession for an emet.......also on having kids of your own.

this whole phobia is just frustrating......especially like your husband says....there are so many worse things that could be in our lives........but it's still there and it's still terrifying and i wish he could understand better on how you feel. i just told my husband in january about it.......after finding this forum and really starting to understand it myself.....i threatened him with divorce if he ever made fun of me, etc.......he's been good with it which seems to make it less of an issue with me.....hope that makes sense....

no apologies needed.....we all understand....

happy new years to you
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Struggling at the moment....

your poor son. i hope hes getting better. kids are very susceptible to these things where we adults have better immune systems. just as long as you keep your hands washed before eating and etc you should be fine. everyone is so frustrated with me whenever i accuse them of unproper hygeine or being on their backs all the time about washing their hands and i feel terrible and even embarressed about over reacting all the time, so dw i know how you feel. your husband may notice the anxiety you get from this phobia, you cant look after your son properly so soon he must realise how serious it is. i wanted to be a nurse/midwife as well but i couldnt strike up the courage to from this fear so good on you for doing that. it sounds like you've done well. and welcome back to the forum
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.