Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thumbs down Stomach capacity test?

So. I was reading through the experience forum and out of no where this memory came back to me and I thought I'd share and ask if anyone has ever had this or something similar happen?

*SLIGHTLY GRAPHIC*

So. I was in 10th grade and my economics (NO I HAVE NO IDEA WHY WE HAD TO DO THIS IN ECONOMICS! :P ) teacher wanted to do a test of stomach capacity. The test was to sit two kids across a plastic crate from eachother and see how many cups of kool-aid each could consume before stomach capacity was reached and you had no choice but to v*. I remember when he told the class his plan, i went pale in the face. When he had us get up to filter outside, I hung back and told him that I did NOT want to do this and I did NOT want to watch people v* outside. He told me that I could not stay in the classroom because he had to lock it since we were all leaving. So, I was forced to go outside. I refused to stand next to the experiment and remained a good 50 ft or more away with my ears plugged and my back to the test. I was told later after we began walking back inside that one kid got to 13 cups. Which only made me imagine and I began to shiver. At the time, I didn't understand that it was the beginnings of a panic attack, but because I was in school I forced the anxiety down and didn't run away or cry. But I was pale in the face for a good 2 - 3 hours afterward and felt n* for a week everytime I went into that classroom just because it reminded me.

I don't even remember the point of the experiment and I swear it was just to torment me.

Default Re: Stomach capacity test?

I'm sorry but that teacher sounds crazy!! He is putting students in harm's way for some crazy experiment??? People have died drinking too much water, etc. A radio station had something like that and a girl died trying to drink water and not pee. He should be fired!!

omg.....what a horrible thing for that teacher to do...........................if i was one of the parents of those kids i would have sued.......
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

That's wild!

When I was in school we did some neat projects on each other. Nothing involving V* though! Our class learned to take each others' blood pressure, looked under microscope at at cells from inside of the cheek, and those kind of things. Nothing that provoked any anxiety. Thank goodness.

As far as stomach capacity, it's more than you might imagine! Does it get hot where you live? It does here! My buddies and I can down a quart and a half each of gatorade / kool-aid / crystal light. That's just because It seems like the right thing to do. It makes my belly bulge a little but nothing uncomfortable.

Be good!
    David

What kind of sick experiment was this?!? This teacher should lose their license or whatever they have to have to teach!! It's unbelievable!! I just can't get over how terrible that would have been! What kind of teacher can force kids to get sick?!?

I don't even thinkn that is an accurate way to show the capacity of the stomach... that's a horrible experiment!! OMG I don't know what I would have done if my teacher forced us to do that.
    Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    Does it get hot where you live?
    No. I live in South-Eastern Idaho up in the mountains. It's NEVER hot here. Haha! It gets warm for probably....1 - 2 months out of the year and is FREEZING the rest of the time. It actually snowed within the first weeks of June this year.

And I never thought of the test as something against the law or something that could be brought against the teacher. The teacher, himself, wasn't a bad teacher and infact I had a lot of great times and easy learning in his class, save for that one instance. I wish I could remember the reason behind the experiment. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by BreaRose View Post
    No. I live in South-Eastern Idaho up in the mountains. It's NEVER hot here. Haha! It gets warm for probably....1 - 2 months out of the year and is FREEZING the rest of the time. It actually snowed within the first weeks of June this year.

And I never thought of the test as something against the law or something that could be brought against the teacher. The teacher, himself, wasn't a bad teacher and infact I had a lot of great times and easy learning in his class, save for that one instance. I wish I could remember the reason behind the experiment. Oh well.
    Wow! I've lived all my life in the south and just got used to the heat. It doesn't bother me anymore.

Remember with the Home Economics teacher; most kids will just see a 'test' like this as something "gross and cool" or "laughable." It's only horrifying to phople who are phobic. Teacher probably did not even know such a thing as 'emetophobia' exists!

Be good!
    David

emet or not, i think it's horribly wrong for a teacher to do a test on a student that will make them physically ill......just sayin...
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

please tell me this person is no longer teaching. Besides being messy, uncomfortable, gross and unsanitary, has he ever considered the physical risks! People could inhale that and die, plus the soreness! Please report this man if he still holds a position! Besides, we don't need someone else desensitizing the children to personal acts. Would he do an experiment with poo?

All I can say about that "experiment" is WTF????????????????????

That is messed up, man. Seriously.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Quote Originally Posted by BreaRose View Post
    So. I was reading through the experience forum and out of no where this memory came back to me and I thought I'd share and ask if anyone has ever had this or something similar happen?

*SLIGHTLY GRAPHIC*

So. I was in 10th grade and my economics (NO I HAVE NO IDEA WHY WE HAD TO DO THIS IN ECONOMICS! :P ) teacher wanted to do a test of stomach capacity. The test was to sit two kids across a plastic crate from eachother and see how many cups of kool-aid each could consume before stomach capacity was reached and you had no choice but to v*. I remember when he told the class his plan, i went pale in the face. When he had us get up to filter outside, I hung back and told him that I did NOT want to do this and I did NOT want to watch people v* outside. He told me that I could not stay in the classroom because he had to lock it since we were all leaving. So, I was forced to go outside. I refused to stand next to the experiment and remained a good 50 ft or more away with my ears plugged and my back to the test. I was told later after we began walking back inside that one kid got to 13 cups. Which only made me imagine and I began to shiver. At the time, I didn't understand that it was the beginnings of a panic attack, but because I was in school I forced the anxiety down and didn't run away or cry. But I was pale in the face for a good 2 - 3 hours afterward and felt n* for a week everytime I went into that classroom just because it reminded me.

I don't even remember the point of the experiment and I swear it was just to torment me.
    What sort of retarded experiment is that? That is not even science, it is torture. A real experiment would have fasting and be monitored critically. They would not use Kool-Aid either, water would be more reasonable. What does any of that have to do with economics anyway? If that happened to me in school I would have ran away screaming. That sort of thing would have broke my mind.