Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Metronidazole

I went to the dentist this morning and my abscess has spread to my gums. So I've just taken my first dose of amoxicillon (which I've had before) and Metronidazole. It's this one that I'm worrying about. I've just got a feeling I'm gonna react badly to it. Really scared.

I've never heard of the other one. Does the dentist know about emet? Be sure to take it with food and have some yogurt too. Sorry I'm not helpful, just never heard of that before.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

I didn't tell him about the emet It's because my mum was there, I just wanted to get out. All he said was, don't take them on an empty stomach.

OK I looked it up and knew it by brand name Flagyl. I know people who have taken it without any problem. Also while looking it up it doesn't mention v as a likely side effect. D and n are possible but again, take it with food and you should be fine. The yogurt can also help with this. Also under the section of what it treats one of the things is intestinal parasites. (which if they tested it on people w/ that may explain any stomach side effects since the parasites can cause those problems too). The way I see it is its used to treat things like that it must be fairly gentle on the stomach. Because it does go after the bacteria/parasites in the intestine do be sure to have the yogurt (or probiotics) so you dont get d.

The website also mentioned not to drink alcohol with this, not to take Tagamet or blood thinners and certain meds like lithium.

I'm sure you will be just fine on this and its so important to get rid of mouth infections. Hang in there, we're here for you!Edited by: SimplyMe
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Thank you, SimplyMe [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I know, I really have to take these meds, my cheek and neck is swollen. It will only get worse if I don't, and then I will end up in the hospital, and I can't let that happen.

I've taken it before and DO take it with some food. Hope you feel better quick. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    Georgi
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, I work in the medical field and prescribe Flagyl all the time. Couple of things, most importantly do NOT drink ANY alcohol at all while on this, not to scare you but you can get violently ill if you do (n/v/d etc). Alcohol and Flagyl have a certain reaction as they are metabolized that trigger a violent response. Also, absolutely take it with food, it can be rough on an empty stomach. It probably will cause diarrhea so try not to worry about that, it doesn't mean you're coming down with a stomach bug or anything at all, it just means the antibiotic is working. It mostly will make you feel under the weather, maybe a bit quesy but you wont get sick. I probably give it to patients 4x per week and while most of them do get diarrhea and may feel a little off, I have yet to have one actually vomit from it.

Hope this helps a bit, please try not to worry and take it, it works well against anaerobic bacteria, which is what you need for a mouth abscess. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Thanks everyone. How long does it take for the swelling to go down? It's my third day of antibiotics, and underneath my chin is still rock hard and swollen.