Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Emet in college

I guess this is sort of a triumph thread/seeking advice too.

I've always been an emet (and I'm premed too, heh, imagine that) but before college, I was worried about students v*ing. I mean, it's prevalent among freshmen, who tend to drink too much, too often at parties and the like...

I did my research and talked to upperclassmen. I found a dorm hall with a rep for being studious and quiet (according to upper classmen) and marked that as my first choice of dorm, and the all-freshman dorm as my last choice.

Boy, am I GLAD I did that. I do not have to be around ANY drunk people or drunk parties. I hear stories of v* everywhere in the freshman hall (even on WALLS!!) on the weekends...I am NOWHERE near that. So glad.

If you're a college-bound emet, I suggest doing your research to find a generally substance-free dorm, or a dorm where studious, quiet people tend to prefer to live in. I couldn't imagine living in a party dorm and being happy, being an emet.

However, I need to get used to things...
    Many people outside of the dining hall on weekends v* because they are still hung over. Thus, I have to wait until 1 pm on the weekends to attend the brunch, as no one is there and I won't have to see anyone v*.

Ugh, I hate drunk students. I don't drink myself because of the meds I'm on (not of a fear of v*)

Any advice for a college emet? ^^

So why didn't you go to a college where alcohol is banned?
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

So glad I never wanted to go to college!

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1
    So why didn't you go to a college where alcohol is banned?
    Alcohol IS banned. It's a part of the school policy. And the law.

No matter what colleges do, it's very difficult to control student drinking. Trust me, my school has done everything, but they can't stop it. I've been forced to sign pacts, watch videos, and other stuff like that. They always have police officers patrolling the campus on weekends too, but the drinking still goes on.

and xmdslatx, I'm sorry that you didn't want to go to college, but for me, I both want and need to. My parents would literally disown me if I didn't go, and I want to be a doctor as well.

I'm not going to let my phobia get in the way of accomplishing my dreams!Edited by: _katherine

Katherine, maybe while getting your doctorate, you can draw some attention to this particular phobia with your classmates as it is barely recognized in the medical field. Most therapists/docs have never even heard of it. BIG pat on the back for you for going to college AND being pre-med, huge accomplishment!! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    Georgi

My advice for someone like yourself being in pre-med is that keep in mind you are there to help people whether the illness or issue is mental or/or physical. People want to know someone is listening to them and actually HEARS what they are saying. Too often, docs are too quick to give out meds for whatevr is ailing their patient instead of getting to the root of the problem. Lending an ear can be the best medicine!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    Georgi

Quote Originally Posted by grgygrl
    Katherine, maybe while getting your doctorate, you can draw some attention to this particular phobia with your classmates as it is barely recognized in the medical field. Most therapists/docs have never even heard of it. BIG pat on the back for you for going to college AND being pre-med, huge accomplishment!! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    Thank you [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

I've always wanted to a doctor, but for a long time, I dragged my feet, and said I wasn't sure because of my phobia. But I know that if given the chance, I could be a good doctor! I want to help people.
    I'd like to raise the issue of emetophobia. I'd like to find some emets in medical school out there (I'm sure there are a lot of closet emets!) and maybe start a little support group. That would be nice.

And you're right about the listening thing...I actually want to be a psychiatrist, so listening would be a big part of my job. I always intend to do it.

gum dropper ur comment wasn;t helpful
    Its me in the Pink Sparkly top!Do I look like an emet!No-1 even noes what it is!Where do u begin?