Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Oh my God ...I have to have a test to check out the cause of my hoarness that iv had for many months on and off...It requires the doctor putting a thin tube while i swallow it down to see what the problem is.....the problem isnt my issue ( at this time ) ...Its the gagging that will be out of my control with possible "V". Im frightened by this test!!!!! Its horrible! Please, Has anyone out there ever had this done??? and how long does it take??? Iv only seen my M.D. and he said i would need to talk to them....Cant they scan my throat...does anyone know??!

Both my Mother and Sister had this test and neither of them gagged or v*.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Friend me on Facebook
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh, Thanks for taking the time to write me back on this. You have given me some hope when i hear about your Mom and Sister not having those horrible effects!!!!...
    Thanks again.

When my dad had this done they offered him an tablet to stop him gagging and feeling s* and v* but he didn't want it and he never gagged or anything and he had to have a rather large tube down his throat and he was fine, don't worry!

Ha, If they dont offer me a tablet, You can bet your bottom dollar that i will be asking for one and whatever else they have....Im a very nervous and uptight person to begin with and i already take calm down stuff daily....can you imagine! But i can still picture myself with my arms out for them not to come near me with the tube. One time i had to have a throat swab done ( i cant figure how i even got though that)!, but anyway as the nurse just put it in i automatically moved my head back and hit the wall! ...How bad is that!! Finally, she let me do it myself and of course i only went to thr center ...oh boy, like that was gonna work .....this was years ago and never did hear back. Thanks anyway for reading this and trying to help me ...I defenatly need the guts to get though this ...and you know what?? I had a mastestomy almost a year ago and didnt even come close to feeling this way !!!!! I dont get it!

You can ask them for an anti-emetic if you like. But generally people are told not to eat ahead of time anyway. If you think about it, they wouldn't want you to vomit anyway...the test wouldn't work then. So there's really nothing to worry about. They spray your throat with an anesthetic so you don't gag either. My daughter just had one done (she's 23) and she just said she felt like burping...but it was fine and really easy she said. Then my neice (age 36) had one done and she's a total drama queen and always vomits...but she didn't during this test, and didn't even have any tranquilizers which they normally give you.
    So it should be fine! Good luck with it!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Oh really!!!? Im starting to to feel abit silly after hearing all these positive feedbacks about the test ha! But it really is a stuggle for me ~~ but your all putting me in an encouraging mind set...and i thank you for that!

Hi Animallover,
    I had hoarseness for months and they did a similar test, but they put a thin tube up my nose and then down to my vocal cords. The thought was freaking me out, BUT the doc says he promises I won't feel anything. They sprayed my nose and it went into my throat and honestly, I didn't feel anything awful, just the feeling that something was there, but nothing else. Just tell your doc, it's best to be honest. Good luck...

Oh, I absolutly will be telling the doctor...Im not shy about that, believe me,..But i have to say im not feeling any better at the possibility of him going though my nose either!....Clearly, some Docs do it differently! My father had that done ( mind you he was a sick man at the time) and they were taking a lung biopsy ( though the nose!) What a thing to go though!!!...and boy, he was out of commmision for over a year! it was so sad. So,for me I defenatly wont be having it done that way even tho this is for my voice...! Oh boyeee I wish this was done and over with! I know i dont have a choice if i want to get to the root of my problem....and i know it will come and go and then it will finally be done with! I will ask them to spray me up and pill me too!! I wonder how long they are acually down there!!! Do you or anyone know?? and what happens when they slide it out ewww! but its putting it in is what this is about for me ...
    Thanks alot for writing ~

It took literally 2-3 minutes, if that. Then he just gradually slides it out. But don't forget you are numb!! After you may have a little runny nose but that is it. I ended up having a small nodule from overuse, but I tried to rest my voice and it went away. But the doc had to scope me again to check it... [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

Thanks for this bit of imformation....I have to be real about this and try to take it as it comes and its a comin, i know...But I havent been diagnosed with that particular problem, however my Dr said that could be whats causing my symptoms. I will tell you that i never thought of a repeat check up! I cant go there right now ...no way. I hope its nothing of course and the test will be done quick! Im not going in blind...I will be telling them how i am( like they wont figure that out in a milla second!!) I have to also keep thinking that thousands of people get this done, so Id like to think that they have heard plenty of concerns from their people that walk though their doors! I cant be the only one!!!