Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I was feeling fine all day and went to my Mother and Father's house for a Memorial Day BBQ. Right after dinner but before dessert, my stomach started grumbling and cramps began. I went to the upstairs bathroom so no one would miss me.

Afterwards I was still feeling bloated and queasy and felt slightly panicky. My carry-along anti-emet kit came in handy as I started sucking on both mint altoids and a ginger chew at the same time.

With the panic coming on stronger, I felt it best to leave early and used "getting my period" as an excuse. Now that I'm home, I feel much better. Still gassy but I'm not panicky anymore. I'm really upset with myself because I was having a good time and didn't want to leave when I did, but the emetophobia won.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Friend me on Facebook
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have done the SAME thing! That's the problem w/ anxiety and this phobia UGH! Don't beat yourself up tho, you went which is GREAT!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

I agree with simply me, at least you went hun!! Plenty of people with emet wouldnt have gone in the first place. You managed to get yourself there which proves that the phobia did NOT win!!!

And lets face it, how many people (emet or not) would want to stay out if they were felling really rough??

I say dont beat yourself up about it, we all have the odd set back, just be proud for getting there and eating!! xx

Yay for going, like ally said!
    I like your 'kit' idea too, I bet that helps in all sorts of situations!
    Since you went through this experience this time around, it means you might be more prepared if you get anxious another time! Personally, what I've found really works is simply walking around and talking to people. Since it sounds like maybe you were just a little too full. I'm a total glutton so sometimes my n* is from overeating, and when I walk around I start to feel a little better Also, talking to people kept my mind off of it. Is there anyone you often see at gatherings like this that knows about your phobia? My therapist has told me to discuss how I feel with people, because sometimes it makes you feel better and the anxiety (and n*) goes away!

The gathering was my immediate family and unfortunately, I tried telling them about my emet once but they just didn't understand.

Friend me on Facebook

I can relate to you there hun, finding anyone to understand can be really hard and very draining. Im lucky, I have my Mum who understands and supports me 100%. I dont know what I wouldve done all those years without her. Like JEz said, sometimes just talking out how I feel to my Mum helps to ease the anxiety, and then the n* goes away too.

Is there anyone at all that you can talk to or rely on?? xx