Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I just updated my blog with a post about one of my strange characteristics - questioning sick people.

www.fearsandphobias.blogspot.com

Am I alone or do any of you also do this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Friend me on Facebook
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I do that sometimes.

I try not to... act all casual... then go wash my hands. :P

Quote Originally Posted by wargerbil
    [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] Me too! Only I bust out the bleach when they leave or when I get home. I've even gone as far as to wash my hands with bleach, very bad idea. [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]
    Georgi

no matter if the person only has a headache...they have a fever...one of their friends/family members have been sick...or look pale. i ALWAYS ask them like 5 times if they are s* or feel like they might v*.
    i cant help it...if i dont ask i will be worrying all day and it might be something as little as they didnt sleep good last night or something!
    its bad sometimes! but i deff do it too!

I do that too.

I do...sometimes.

I used to be much worse though.

Quote Originally Posted by grgygrl
    [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] Me too! Only I bust out the bleach when they leave or when I get home. I've even gone as far as to wash my hands with bleach, very bad idea. [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]
    I think it's better if I just don't know. I'm going to wash my hands either way. (I'm not even an obsessive hand washer by any means... just after potty, before eating, whenever they are dirty kind of thing. I've never bleached my hands -- ow!! I don't even use antibacterial soap if I can avoid it. Just regular soap, 20-30 seconds.) I am actually more likely to drill my BOYFRIEND if someone HE knows is sick because I KNOW he doesn't wash his hands as much as he should (seriously gross, I have to remind him after he goes to the bathroom or when he gets home from work, knowing he hasn't all day and ate his lunch with his filthy hands anyway [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img] ).

I spent a year interning for the VA in an outpatient program but we were back and forth to the hospital a lot for different things. That year they had such a bad sv* outbreak at the hospital that there were a few weeks that they forbid anyone who didn't have to be there from entering the hospital. Uhm yea, guess who had to be there for meetings?? [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img] I survived though!

I realize I have very little power to change what is going to happen, and knowing what is wrong with other people can't change that. I guess the only reason I'd want to know is so I can be more cautious about how I'm feeling in case I'm coming down with something.

It's great when I start psychoanalyzing myself isn't it? [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

I try not to question too much because I imagine some people would get uncomfortable. Usually I just ask, "What kind of sick?" and if the person replies vaguely, like, "Oh, upset stomach" I will ask if he/she actually vomited. Either way, I avoid them if I knew they had stomach pains or nausea.

Yesterday a sick girl attended the storytime program at my local library. I was furious with her mother for bringing her in (though of course I had to restrain myself from expressing that) -- she explained off-handedly that "it only lasted eighteen hours and she was eating and drinking this morning so I guess she's not contagious anymore."

~Madeleine
    Seventeen-year-old Madeleine, from Rhode Island

ONLY 18 HOURS? Holy c**p! Thats a long time. And, yes, she is still contagious for about 2 weeks after she is done being ill.
    Georgi

I question people sometimes too...only i try to restrain myself a little
    of course then i go and wash my hands like crazy.

and maybe avoid the person (if i can) for the rest of the day... [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

I question people too, although not so much in-depth. Like Madeleine, I'll ask what kind of sick - like headache, stomachache (from too much candy/bad eating habits, or stomachache like feeling n*). My boyfriend has these horrible eating habits, eats junkfood all day, so I am used to him saying his stomach hurts. I try to act casual too, wargerbil, but it's sometimes hard when I want to ask them when's the last time they washed their hands, whether someone they knew was sick, what might have caused it. But if it's not related to v*, sometimes I try to help and be a pain in the rear, because I'm starting medical school, lol.

Well, today is Day Three after seeing the sick girl at the library -- dreaded Day Three, the first of two or three days of serious worrying, since I live by the three-day rule but don't relax until about two days afterwards!

~Madeleine
    Seventeen-year-old Madeleine, from Rhode Island

:/ i live by the three day rule too.
    although hopefully since you weren't around the girl when she got sick and didn't ingest any of the germs you should be okay...or at least that's what i tell myself to try and calm down.