Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: My awful life..

I have a daughter aged 17 months. she always picks up bugs and passes them on. She has one at the moment and i am forced to deal with it and its literally killing me. I didnt even know my phobia was a real phobia until half an hour ago. its nice to know i have people who go through the same stuff as me that i can talk to.

I have a very severe case on Emet and i even considered putting my daughter who i love dearly into foster care as i am so freaked out about her being so ill all the time. i know that makes me sound like an awful mother so please can somebody please please help me cure or help me. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Hi Naomi, welcome to the site! you aren't an awful mother, you're deathly afraid of v. Check out some of sage's stuff under the treatment thread, there's lots of good info on finding a therapist and facts about emet as well as exposure and treatment options (don't worry there aren't any scary pics on the threads). Also I believe there is info about how sv (stomach viruses) are caught and prevented.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. Have you tried therapy? And maybe some anti-anxiety medications? I don't know if there is a cure, although Sage is, and that is an awesome thought, but there are definitely some things to make life a little easier living with this phobia. It sucks to feel so helpless and panicked all the time, but there are things that help. Hang in there, and remember that your daughters immune system will be stellar as she grows picking up all these bugs. When my boys were toddlers, I thought I would lose my mind with all the illness, but it really slowed down the older they got. (They're 8 and 10) Let us know how things are now! Janna
    JANNA

Naomi,

Trust me, you are not the worst mother in the world. I have felt that way myself, so many times. Our girls are 6, 8 and 11 now and I still run when they are ill.

Do you have any friends or family you can call for support, even if they are just able to be there for you on the phone?

I hope you daughter feels better soon!

Take care,

Joanne

Aw thank you all, it just makes me feel better knowing that other people have children and Emet and coped just fine. Im sure with time it wont be so scary but i just have to bear it. Thank you all
    [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] xxxx

Hi Naomi- pls keep in mind, the older they get the less they get the bugs. It only keeps getting better- I promise. There are lots of us emet mothers out here.