Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: V in sleep?

Hi there,

I wonder if this is possible, it is part of my anxiety for sure. Can you v* in your sleep? Like not just wake up nauseous and v* afterwards, but actually wake up v*ing? Sometimes I'm worried about going to bed when I'm having my bad days.

[img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

I hate to say it but my son has done that. He said he was sleeping then then next thing he knew, he was v'ing.

Kids can do it, yes, but not adults. And ESPECIALLY not emetophobics! So NEVER worry about going to bed. You'll stress your body and end up sicker if you don't sleep well.

Basically, kids probably do stir in their sleep, about to vomit, but don't realize it or know what to do so they just wake up and get sick. But an adult - particularly an anxious one would wake up long, long before anything ever happens.

So sleep, hun! Sleep and enjoy it!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes, I did it. It is why I became an emet. It is a truly disgusting story and I will not tell it here, but let's just say that one second I was peacefully asleep and the next I was ... wide awake.

The funny thing was that I somehow had the idea in the back of my mind that vomiting was something that only happened once, like the chicken pox, or else it would have been like the previous time, when I woke up with plenty of warning.

I have heard many stories of people choking on their vomit in their sleep, and some have died, so I have always considered myself lucky to merely get a phobia.

I think it would be pretty unlikely to happen to a healthy adult emet. (The people who have died were very young children, drunk, or terminally ill. I remember once waking up with a severe abdominal cramp and an urgent need to have diarrhea, and I remember thinking that even that little warning is all I would need if the worst were about to happen.

DougEdited by: gumdropper1
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

I would agree totally with Sage, I don't think that would EVER happen, pls try to sleep!

Hi there,

I agree with Sage too. I think the nausea would get so bad that you would have to wake up - this has always been the case for me - there is no way I can sleep when my stomach feels that bad!

******GRAPHIC**** (yes, I wrote this myself! ha ha)

You also gotta think about the other end of the spectrum. How bad could it really be if you don't even wake up until your half way through/finished? My daughter v*ed in her sleep with a sv* one time and woke up because she was laying on her back choking in it, not because of the v*ing itself. But I admit, it's pretty scary to hear about it. I just keep repeating what Sage wrote about it being "a big fat nothing". I'm sure it's MUCH different for kids than it is for adults. My daughter can sleep through anything.
    Edited by: lgood22573

I think it can happen, but only in certain rare instances. All the instances I have ever heard about involve heavy drinking or use of illegal drugs. I have never heard of it happening (except for poor Gumdropper) to adults not under the influence of something.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

Kel, I guess I didn't make it clear. I was 8 when the incident happened. Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]Thnx guyz. I'll go to sleep without worrying then. But, the thought of waking up with nausea is still quite creepy. The very feeling is one of doom. In fact, how I got my emet was me being sick with hepatitis A in childhood and suddenly waking up feeling severely sick at night.[img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

Yes - good to hear that even Doug's story was a childhood one. Of course, incidents like this in childhood probably added to the factors leading up to a horrible phobia, so I'm not sure which is worse in the end.

Adults who aren't drunk or very very sick or dying or whatever would wake up...and emets would wake up long before cuz we're so sensitive to it.

Everyone sleep in peace! Remember that 99% of the time if you're ok when you go to bed, you'lre ok when you wake up. There's no reason to worry ALL the time for something that only happens sometimes...and very rarely at that.

For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I would never in a million years believe that I could do that - even as a kid I awoke in plenty of time if I was actually sick. Even when I've had loads to drink (alcohol) I wake up with plenty of warning, giving me time to go to the bathroom! Maybe it depends on a lot of factors - I'd say if you are scared of vomiting it's not very likely at all you'd be sick in your sleep and even less soif you are a light sleeper too. Try not to worry!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

I used to keep Pepto tablets under my pillow in case I woke up nauseated.